Book Giveaway: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking

(31 Posts)
UrsulaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Sep-15 17:15:06

Allen Carr's hundred-cigarettes-a-day addiction drove him to despair, but after countless attempts to quit he discovered what the world had been waiting for: the Easy Way To Stop Smoking.

Now recognised as the world's leading expert on helping smokers to quit, Allen's informative, no-scare-tactics methods and techniques are a revelation for those desperate to kick the habit.
2015 marks the 30th anniversary since this ground-breaking book's first publication. It has been published in 15 languages worldwide and has sold 1.3 million copies in the UK alone.

Allen was a smoker himself, but came up with a method that helped him to quit, along with millions others since the book's publication 30 years ago. His books have helped an estimated 25 million people stop smoking. Allen's technique uses no gimmicks or 'crutches' like e-cigarettes, so it is a much healthier way to quit.

What Mumsnetters said:

'Worked like a dream for me. He makes you see that stopping smoking is something to be excited about rather than fearful of' - squoosh

'Coming up to 7 years as a non smoker, I'll recommend Allen Carr to anyone wanting to stop' - lessthanBeau

'I gave up 4 years ago with Allen Carr, it worked like a dream' - EhricLovesTheBhrothers

We have 50 copies of Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking to give away!

To apply for a free copy and find out more, visit our giveaway page

PlentyOfPubeGardens Thu 24-Sep-15 19:38:46

Allen Carr works for lots and lots of smokers and is well worth a try if you haven't already.

Sadly it doesn't work for everybody, it didn't for me, and I take issue with this: Allen's technique uses no gimmicks or 'crutches' like e-cigarettes, so it is a much healthier way to quit.

The healthiest way to quit is the way that works for you. There is no single 'best' method that works for everybody, so we need as many different methods as possible because smokers are all different. Loads of vapers have already tried and failed with the Allen Carr method. You'll note from the thread the quotes are from that vapers haven't gone on there and slagged off the Allen Carr method. It would be lovely if Allen Carr's Easyway could pay us the same respect.

Also this: Now recognised as the world's leading expert on helping smokers to quit - recognised by whom?

Peaceloveandjammydodgers Thu 24-Sep-15 22:06:15

I picked up a copy for 20p at a car boot sale and stopped smoking four years ago. I would recommend it to anyone as well.

OddSocksHighHeels Thu 24-Sep-15 23:39:02

I'm with plenty on this. It didn't work for me at all, neither do patches or gum etc though!

It's certainly worth trying if you want to quit but if it doesn't work for you then you shouldn't then be made to feel "weak" for needing a nicotine replacement.

Bogeyface Fri 25-Sep-15 01:29:29

I think this book is a form of hypnotherapy and it doesnt work for everyone. My ex read it and hasnt smoked since, 13 years ago. I read it and gave up at the same time but it was hell every step, I went cold turkey! I didnt "embrace the withdrawal" as I was now a non smoker, I hated it and did end up smoking again 3 years later.

If it works, it really works, but it isnt a miracle cure.

I gave up via vaping and still vape now. Yes I am addicted to nicotine but I am not addicted to cigarettes anymore, in fact I find smoking repugnant, so I consider myself a non smoker. Slagging off alternative methods is counter productive because if you cant quit with Allen Carr then you may think that you are a confirmed smoker and not try other methods.

It doesnt matter how people quit, so long as they do.

squoosh Fri 25-Sep-15 10:29:06

Bloody love this book and it has a huge success rate. Okay so nothing works for everyone but it's certainly worth a shot. All you're risking is a few quid!

squoosh Fri 25-Sep-15 10:30:10

Ha! Just noticed I'm quoted in the OP.

I really DO love this book grin

PolterGoose Fri 25-Sep-15 11:19:52

Well said Plenty

isupposeitsverynice Fri 25-Sep-15 13:07:34

Yes Bogey I agree re hypnotherapy element. I accompanied my mum to one of their seminar things years ago and it is definitely that sort of thing - it worked really well for her. I was an invincible teenager myself though so bought a new packet of fags as soon as I hit the town with my pal that evening. Have been thinking about buying this and trying again so a free copy would be very nice indeed grin

Peaceloveandjammydodgers Fri 25-Sep-15 14:20:24

I forgot about the seminars. My mum went to one and started smoking again soon afterwards.

TiggyD Fri 25-Sep-15 15:34:27

Great book. I'm buying 20 a day now.

(Sorry. No real post, just a cheap joke.)

viciousknid Fri 25-Sep-15 18:12:40

Worked for me for about a week. And then stopped working. Vaping is the way!

MissTMornings Sat 26-Sep-15 10:21:10

I have thought about trying this book. I stopped smoking for 10 years then went back to it 8 years ago, why??
I like the idea of vaping but find vapes such a faff to maintain. I went cold turkey last time and I think it's the only way forward for me.

HackerFucker22 Sun 27-Sep-15 12:50:02

I always, always rave about this book as it worked for me. I am coming up to 6 years a non smoker and it was 100% down to this book. I didn't gain any weight and I didn't have to remove myself from any social situations. I never had any cravings, never missed smoking and have never looked back for a second. I didn't actually expect the book to work and I adored smoking!! So the fact it worked so well has made me a massive champion of Allen Carr... The book costs the same as pack of fags (less if second hand) so what is the harm in buying it and trying it?

I will caveat this by saying I had the book in a drawer for a few years before I but the bullet and tried it... so it is a bit down to timing as well but as I say I didn't expect it to work and I didn't actually 'want' to stop when I read it.

snowplop Sun 27-Sep-15 17:24:07

I echo what HackerFucker said about timing. I actually read the book when I wasn't really ready to give up and although I found it fascinating I was back on the fags soon after. When I was really ready to give up I attended an Allen Carr seminar and walked out a happy non-smoker. Completely cold turkey. It really was that easy. That was 4 years ago and I haven't touched one since.

Jux Sun 27-Sep-15 22:56:21

Vaping is fab. I went from 40 a day to 4 overnight. Don't slag it, it works for so many people, as does Carr but he didn't work for me or anyone I know.

KittiKat Mon 28-Sep-15 12:45:31

I would seriously like to stop. I keep giving myself excuses all the time. I start off on a Monday morning with a patch and by lunchtime I have bought another packet of cigarettes.

For my health I need to stop. I just don't know why I don't have the willpower. sad

NewLife4Me Mon 28-Sep-15 18:34:56

His method didn't work for me as I had worked all his ideas out for myself as smokers often do.
I don't know anybody who it worked for, we all passed the book around and it's looking pretty dog eared by now.
People should give it a go though just the same as other methods like hypnotherapy which worked for ils, but sadly not me and dh.

Jux Mon 28-Sep-15 22:41:51

KittiKat, if AC doesn't work for you, try vaping. The people on the vaping threads are very helpful.

Bullettoothtony Tue 29-Sep-15 07:08:15

I read this 20 years ago and have up. Not for the last time though.

It's a really interesting book whether it works or not, though. Good read

Runwayqueen Tue 29-Sep-15 19:12:09

Just had my email to say I was receiving a copy. I stopped previously by vaping but I was back smoking after 3 months. At this stage I'm willing to give anything a try.

BeyondYourPeripheralVision Wed 30-Sep-15 07:40:01

Thrilled to have won a copy! Used it about 8 years ago and gave up successfully - then gave away my copy... and at some point went back on the fags. Gave up last december but when a shockingly horrible personal thing happened in July I hit the fags (and wine) hard but am now ready to give up again - so winning this book has come at the completely right time! smile

Ollienoodles45isbananas Fri 02-Oct-15 20:43:14

Just received my copy that I won, I shall be starting the book next week, really want to give up the evil fags but never had the will power. Fingers crossed this works.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Sat 03-Oct-15 10:27:05

I started reading my copy last night (just the introduction).

Is he as infuriatingly smug throughout? The introduction is just one long sales pitch and I almost found myself thinking 'well this won't work on me' just to prove him wrong!

Maybe I was just very hormonal and irrational as AF arrived today.

KittiKat Sat 03-Oct-15 17:21:05

Jux thank you. I think I might just go and have a look.

Disappointed to not have been chosen to get a copy. If anyone thinks the book is just not for them, do please let me know and I will happily take it off your hands for the price of postage. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now