Talk

Advanced search

New "stop smoking" drug? I think not!

(4 Posts)
Allergictoironing Sat 08-Aug-15 10:13:53

Saw this article today on a tech/IT site. I didn't comment because others said it first - reducing the effectiveness of nicotine will make people smoke MORE not less.

www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/07/smoking_therapy_bug/

PlentyOfPubeGardens Sat 08-Aug-15 21:28:41

I dunno, I think it probably has its place as one of a range of options for those wanting to quit. Someone in the comments was talking about how Zyban works in a similar way (when it's not making you suicidal). I suppose it's committing to going through cold turkey and once you've had the jab there's no going back - by the time the enzyme is out of your system, the withdrawal period is over - all you have to do is not relapse (which as we all know is easy peasy wink). If this new drug could do what Zyban does without the hideous MH side effects I think it could help some people who wanted to quit. It's early days though, so far they have discovered the enzyme and found that it can survive at body temperature. They have no idea what will happen when it's injected into a human being - could be worse than Zyban.

What is far more sinister and dangerous is the 'end game' proposal to gradually lower the nicotine content in *all* cigarettes. That will definitely result in people smoking more to compensate and greater death rates as a result.

The truth is though that public health don't give a flying fuck about current smokers. All their efforts are focused on stopping young people starting in the first place and if current smokers die in greater numbers because of their measures, well, they're just collateral damage and nobody cares because smokers are scum anyway sad

PlentyOfPubeGardens Sat 08-Aug-15 21:29:15

oops, apols for the off-topic rant blush

PolterGoose Sun 09-Aug-15 15:02:38

I guess it depends how it gets developed. Am thinking of the use of Subutex for heroin users, which both reduces cravings and acts as a blocker, if they can do the same for nicotine it may be a breakthrough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now