Talk

Advanced search

Day 2 of quitting, tell me it gets better!

(4 Posts)
lollipoppi Tue 28-Jul-15 17:25:47

I've not had a cigarette since 10pm Sunday night.
I was smoking 20 a day and have smoked for 15 years hmm

Day 1 was easier than I thought it would be, but last night I couldn't sleep, I was too hot.
Day 2 (today) has been tough, I could easily have a cig right now, in fact I could have 2, or 3

When do the cravings pass, what can I expect from tomorrow, it does get easier doesn't it, please tell me it does.

I'm using nicotine patches

PlentyOfPubeGardens Tue 28-Jul-15 21:28:27

Yes, it gets better! smile The worst should be over within 5 days or so.

What strength patches are you using? If you are getting strong cravings you might want to go up a strength and / or supplement with a shorter acting NRT like gum or inhaler (or an ecig). The most effective way to use NRT is to use enough to kill the cravings while you focus on losing the habit aspects of smoking, then cut down the nicotine gradually.

2 days is brilliant progress - by bedtime that'll be 40 fags you haven't smoked - keep counting these, they soon mount up and give you confidence. If you do cave and have a fag, treat it as just a blip and jump straight back on the wagon.

Prioritise your quit attempt in the early days: avoid situations where there will be alcohol and social occasions where there will be smokers. If you're craving in the evenings, consider just having a bath or shower and an early night.

Good luck, come back for a whinge whenever you need to flowers

lollipoppi Tue 28-Jul-15 21:55:46

Thank you smile

Today's been horrible but I've got through it. I've got cigs in the house, and I've resisted having one so really pleased about that

I'm on 21mg patches which I think are the strongest?

PlentyOfPubeGardens Wed 29-Jul-15 09:47:59

Well done flowers

Some brands do up to 25mg but I doubt you'd notice much difference, it's only slightly higher. Doubling up with gum or inhalator might be the answer if you continue to find it tough going.

Good luck for today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now