Talk

Advanced search

Allen Carr day course - I really want a fag now

(6 Posts)
venki Sat 25-Jul-15 19:57:44

Has anyone any experience of the Allen Carr quit smoking sessions (not the book) - I've been on one today and to be honest I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed. From what I'd heard bout the course from friends, I'd be leaving the session with no desire to smoke again, but all evening all I've wanted to do is have a fag. It feels like I'm having to use willpower, which the Allen Carr mantra says never works. Does this get easier over the following days?

I think maybe I'd built up my expectations a little too much of what this course could do?

AlpacaMyBags Sat 25-Jul-15 20:02:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissBattleaxe Sun 06-Sep-15 23:09:25

I'm interested to hear about this as I have been considering it.

DragonsCanHop Sun 06-Sep-15 23:33:03

Me too

MissBattleaxe Fri 09-Oct-15 09:41:51

I haven't been to a seminar but I have read the book. I think there is a little willpower involved but the way I see it is that you're retraining your brain. So instead of "I'd love a cig" you retrain yourself to say "this is what smokers feel. I'm a non smoker". I hope I don't sound like I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but that's my take on it.

I don't find Allan Carr effortless, but the bit where he repeats what a great feeling it is not to smoke really works for me. I'm a non smoker now and it really is a great feeling to be set free.

ThirtyFivePounds Sat 31-Oct-15 12:55:12

I did this course twice. That says it all really about how it worked for me!

I do think the book and the course are very good but they didn't quite work for me. After the first course I lasted a week and then had a nasty shock about something and the first thing I did was reach for the cigarettes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now