Talk

Advanced search

Can you persuade someone else to stop smoking?

(3 Posts)
Xan1 Sun 12-Jul-15 12:35:05

My boyfriend (late 40s) smokes and I don't. So far I haven't said anything to him because my philosophy is that you can't change someone else, and it's none of my business, he's got to want to quit, etc etc.

However, next week I'm attending the funeral of an old friend who has died of smoking-related cancer in his early fifties. It was a horrible way to go and he's left behind a wife and three young children.

Anyway, I'd hate to think that my BF could end up in the same situation. He's occasionally said be wants to cut down, and only smokes 5-10 a day, and I've been supportive of him wanting to cut down. But is there any point me saying I'd like him to quit? I hate to watch him slowly killing himself sad

Theselittlelightsaremine Sun 12-Jul-15 12:37:42

No I don't think you can.

I think it's something the smoker has to do for themselves or the will power just won't be there.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Sun 12-Jul-15 20:18:52

No, sorry, trying to persuade someone else to stop smoking doesn't work. The best you can do is be encouraging and supportive when he expresses a wish to cut down or quit, which it sounds like you are already doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now