Talk

Advanced search

Patches

(2 Posts)
tittyboomboom Mon 06-Jul-15 09:58:27

Hiya

I'm on day 4 of patches. It is going rather well. Not one puff since Thursday!! I was absolutely dying for one this morning before I got to put the patch on. Awful it was. I snapped at dc. I wanted to cry.

I will be going to my local pharmacy on Thursday to check my carbon monoxide levels. Last week levels with at 17. I'll be doing this each week, which should help me keep on track.

Just wondering, will I be dependent on patches forever? I can't imagine being able to do it without the help.

Any experiences using patches?

PlentyOfPubeGardens Tue 07-Jul-15 10:36:15

Hi titty, well done on 4 days flowers

You shouldn't be dependent on the patches for ever. The way NRT is supposed to work is by separating the habit part from the nicotine addiction part. So you first lose the habit - hand-to-mouth, regular fag breaks etc. and then when you've tackled that you deal with the physical addiction part by cutting down slowly (or not so slowly if it's going well).

Most people fail with NRT because they don't use enough and they don't use it for long enough. You can get 24 hour patches (not suitable in pregnancy) which should make the mornings a bit easier for you. Also, you can use two types of NRT together if needed, so patches providing a constant dose and then gum, lozenges, inhalator, even an ecig, to get you through any strong craving. It's great you're seeing the pharmacist regularly - that will really help.

Keep counting the fags you haven't smoked - it's probably quite a lot already.

Good luck and do come back for a whinge whenever you feel like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now