Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where to start?

(57 Posts)
Boutonneux Thu 09-Apr-15 20:59:13

Sorry, I know this probably gets asked over and over (and I promise, I have read some threads, I've been browsing all day on here!) but I don't really know where to start, there seems to be so much choice for vaping that I'm worried about making an error!

I've been smoking for over 20 years and I am definitely what would be classed as a heavy smoker - probably 30 rolls ups a day and around 4 or 5 regular cigarettes.

My H bought this kit but didn't get on with it (I don't think he's ready to quit yet to be honest) https://www.vividvapours.com/index.php/e-liquid-electronic-cigarette-shop/e-liquid-electronic-cigarette-starter-kit/vivid-e-liquid-starter-kit-353.html so I've nabbed that, thank you very much... but is it any good? Would I be better off with a different brand? If it helps, I'm not particularly interested in the flavoured liquids, just cigarette flavoured will do me thanks grin

Thanks in advance smile

ginmakesitallok Thu 09-Apr-15 21:03:18

Don't know about the kit, but re liquid..... you're not going to get a liquid that tastes like tobacco, why not try some flavours? The flavours are one of the best things about vaping!! What strength liquid are you using? I'd recommend at least 18mg

Boutonneux Thu 09-Apr-15 21:34:27

I haven't actually started yet gin but the liquid that comes in that kit is 18mg which I understand should be strong enough?

You're right; I shouldn't dismiss the flavoured ones without trying some... but was I wrong in thinking there were tobacco flavoured ones out there? confused

PolterGoose Thu 09-Apr-15 22:10:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Boutonneux Thu 09-Apr-15 22:30:39

I've just been reading the thread about different kits "The good, the bad and the ugly" and feeling a bit overwhelmed to be honest!

So I've had a few puffs on it and .... I quite liked it actually smile the first one took me by surprise a little; I didn't expect it to be so strong but I suppose that's a good thing?

I'm a bit shocked at myself; I've never actually wanted to quit before and I know my family and friends are going to be stunned. I don't know whether to go with the "duel fuelling" for a bit or just go for it and go for full on vaping with no real fags? What do most people find is most successful?

PolterGoose Thu 09-Apr-15 22:36:06

HelenF350 Thu 09-Apr-15 22:38:22

I stopped with ecigs. Stopped smoking real cigs straight away. Gradually came down from full strength liquid to nicotine free and quit within a month of going on the nicotine free. If you struggle going down to the next strength mix the 2 strengths 50-50 and make an inbetween strength. Good luck! I haven't had a real cig in over 3 years now x

Boutonneux Fri 10-Apr-15 09:10:13

Thank you PolterGoose and HelenF350 smile

Need to look into more kit then by the sounds of it. That will be my task for today!

Boutonneux Fri 10-Apr-15 13:03:57

I feel like a woman who has just discovered make up or skincare for the first time grin there's so much choice, it's all slightly overwhelming... plus it seems a lot of it comes down to personal choice too. But if I could get some opinions I'd really appreciate it. I like the look of these:

www.cloud9vaping.co.uk/epages/yxve46fvrnud.sf/en_GB/?

www.cloud9vaping.co.uk/epages/yxve46fvrnud.sf/en_GB/?

Well, actually I would have preferred this is I could actually find it anywhere! www.eleafworld.com/product/detail.php/ijust-d14-battery.html but only for aesthetic reasons, I just prefer the look of the long/slim batteries.

I'm feeling marvellous today, really positive and ready to give it my all. I've been puffing away happily on the vivid this morning and have had only 5 roll ups so far, which for me, trust me, is a big achievement! I feel like duel fuel-ling is the way to go for a few days at least... I've got enough cigarettes and tobacco until Monday or Tuesday so I'll see how I feel then.

PolterGoose Fri 10-Apr-15 13:14:35

Boutonneux Fri 10-Apr-15 13:16:46

Hope no-one minds me rabbiting away blush but I don't feel quite ready to tell my friends and family just yet and it's really helpful to know everyone reading this understands how I'm feeling. Plus, I want to get down in black and white my reasons for this, to help me maybe if I have any wobbly moments...

1. Money. I'm ashamed at how much we spend on smoking. We're on a pretty low income and at least once a week I'll say "no, can't afford it" to something... a takeaway, a night out, a coffee with a friend. But I always, always, manage to find the money for fags. What's that all about then?

2. My health. Oh, so many niggling health issues that I know will improve (if not disappear). High blood pressure, breathlessness, tightness in my chest in the mornings, coughing... to name but a few.

3. The smell. I fucking hate it.

I want to do this. I really, really want to. I'm ready. I've never wanted to before, I've always enjoyed smoking but I feel like it's time now smile

Boutonneux Fri 10-Apr-15 13:21:27

PolterGoose I've just realised both of those links just go to the home page, how annoying, I definitely c&p them from the item's individual pages. Oh well...

Anyhoo, the battery I tried to link to was the Eleaf iStick so I guess I don't need to ask you if you would recommend it then? wink and the tank was the Aspire Mini Nautilus BVC Glassomizer. It's not a cheap combination so I wanted to ask the experts if they're both good buys?

PolterGoose Fri 10-Apr-15 13:41:07

HelenF350 Fri 10-Apr-15 14:07:52

The smell was a huge thing for me. I had quit smoking for about a year and started again. For the first time I could smell the smoke on myself and it was horrid. That was a huge push towards ecigs for me. A couple of days of using them and not smelling of smoke and I was sold! grin

Allergictoironing Fri 10-Apr-15 14:35:40

That's my current favourite set-up Boutonneux, and the GS-H2 Polter has linked to are my secondary tanks.

Cloud9 aren't the cheapest place to get the istick. I got mine from Myepack, who also have the Nautilus Mini

Try LiQuid to try out different types of flavours to see which ones you like. They are dirt cheap, but are made to all the necessary standards in the UK - I've actually spoken to the MD before now & they are definitely OK.

JugglingLife Fri 10-Apr-15 14:47:56

Hi Bouttoneux, I started vaping in June of last year and really haven't looked back other than a couple of drunken puffs which were rank, I've tried a few different kits but have for the last few months been using an e-leaf I stick and the aspire mini nautilus, it is fantastic. I avoided the cigarette flavours as I wanted to move away from it completely and have pretty much stuck with menthol or mint based juice ever since. That said I did try a b&q flavor at the vape shop yesterday and it really was amazingly authentic. Good luck and like the others, should you go with that combo it's a fab choice.

JugglingLife Fri 10-Apr-15 14:48:56

B & q?!?! B&H, obviously!

Boutonneux Fri 10-Apr-15 15:09:12

Haha JugglingLife at b&q - I did think "what? did she mean bbq perhaps?" grin I like the sound of the B&H one I must say, might have to give that a go. They were my cigarette of choice when I was feeling flush!

PolterGoose those tanks are a great price for so many, I'll definitely order some of those for spares and testing new flavours. I did an order with LiQuid earlier on Allergic so have got a few different ones to try on the way.

I didn't order from Cloud9 in the end, I thought they were expensive compared to other places but I couldn't find anywhere that sold both the Nautilus and the iStick so actually went for a Ego 1300 battery for now but will upgrade to the iStick in time I reckon, as it seems to be very highly rated everywhere I read.

You're all great, thanks so much for all the advice and support.

magimedi Fri 10-Apr-15 15:11:39

E leaf istick & aspire mini nautilus are my tools of the trade now. Bloody love it!

Bouton - it will be 3 years for me in October - I had smoked for about 40 years & really thought I'd never manage to stop.

I dual fuelled for a couple of weeks as seems popular with many vapers.

I feel so much better, richer, can now exercise properly & have dropped a size in clothes.

JugglingLife Fri 10-Apr-15 15:18:50

OP, if you're anywhere near North Birmingham I can recommend our local vape shop, they have both in stock and the juice.

JugglingLife Fri 10-Apr-15 15:22:08

Actually I've just googled them and they do have a limited online shop. The eleaf and mini nautilus aren't showing but if you ring them I'm sure they will take an order by phone and mail it. Electrovape.co.uk

crispandfruity Fri 10-Apr-15 17:28:23

The eleaf istick is brilliant. If you like the vivid set up then the eleaf will blow your socks off.

I'm 6 weeks in and went straight on the vapes, no dual fuelling. It isn't a magic wand, there are times when I really want a fag but once you start smelling nice, saving money and generally feeling fitter you just don't want to go back.

And there is lots of amazing advice on here from expert vapers.

Boutonneux Fri 10-Apr-15 17:39:27

I wish there were a 'thanks' button on this forum grin

Juggling I don't drive unfortunately so it's online only for me at the moment. I did have a Google and there don't seem to be any local vape shops in my area, which is a shame.

It's really encouraging reading all your stories, especially from the long term heavy smokers.

In the last 6 hours I've been vaping away merrily and have had only 2 roll ups which I'm pretty pleased with... on a normal day in a 6 hour period that would have been at least 12. So, in line with what I've read, I'm not worrying about the 2 I've had but celebrating the 10 I haven't had wink

I'll get there!

crispandfruity Fri 10-Apr-15 18:02:27

Well done!!!

FurdyCone Fri 10-Apr-15 18:20:17

Well done Bout! I dual-fuelled for about 4 months, then realised I was preferring vaping to the roll-ups and just stopped smoking. Was no problem at all, it will come to you when the time is right for you. I love vaping, and feel so much better. There is fantastic support here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now