Talk

Advanced search

E cigarettes

(32 Posts)
Celestria Mon 03-Nov-14 14:42:40

Hi all, I'm looking for advice on e cigarettes. I want to stop smoking but failed trying to go cold turkey. I'd like to try e cigarettes but read various conflicting opinions on their safety. Any thoughts?

PolterGoose Mon 03-Nov-14 16:27:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

magimedi Mon 03-Nov-14 17:29:55

Celestria - I am convinced that the dangers of smoking are FAR great than the dangers of ecigs. I am now 2 years off cigarettes & feel fitter (at nearly 60) than I have felt for years.

I can't tell you the times I tried to quit & failed before vaping.

Good Luck & there's always help here, whichever way you decide to quit.

If you do go down the vaping route there's also lots of knowledge here - no question is too daft to ask - we've all been there when we started vaping.

Celestria Mon 03-Nov-14 18:20:56

Well i pretty much decided I was being a bit stupid questioning the safety of e cigarettes when I buy cigarettes that I know is terrible for me every day.

So I now have the eGo T. Complete with medium strength banana and cola flavours. Waiting for it to charge then off I go.

PolterGoose Mon 03-Nov-14 18:23:15

PlentyOfPubeGardens Mon 03-Nov-14 20:37:38

Well done and good luck! Do come back and let us know how you get on.

Celestria Mon 03-Nov-14 21:06:55

I'm excited to try it but it's taking forever to charge hmm

PolterGoose Mon 03-Nov-14 21:08:18

OliviaBlue Mon 03-Nov-14 23:20:49

Hey. I'm an on and off smoker - I'm currently off cigarettes (for about 4 months now), and I hope this is my permanent quit. I have really bad will power with cigarettes and I'm the first to admit it. I started smoking pretty young (15) and didn't actually attempt to quit till I was 23. Since then it's been a long battle with them. My main problem is definitely my will power though.

I initially tried cold turkey and it was not for me. I was too irritable and emotional. Eventually I tried patches which worked okay but I heart wasn't in it, so I went back on them. I tried so many different things over the years. I tried Varenicline (Chantix) and that was really good - I quit for almost 3 years on those. They make you actually grossed out by smoking and you have no desire to have cigarettes. I never had any side-effects except really vivid messed up dreams.

Anyway, I went to a party with my DH (who is a very occasional social smoker - like hardly ever though) and I ended up back smoking again. So I tried e-cigarettes. I never bought an expensive one though, I started just getting the disposable BullDog ecigs and I have to be honest, they made my breathing a lot worse than when I actually smoked. They also sometimes leak fluid which I found kinda off-putting. Some of my friends use the more expensive "permanent" e cigarettes, but I just avoid them altogether now.

My last (and current) quit was done using a combination of patches and lozenges. Really worked for me. So far..

Allergictoironing Tue 04-Nov-14 07:24:14

Olivia you may be one of the few who have issues with PG (propylene Glycol), which on most bulk produced e-liquid makes up around 70-80% of the base fluid. If you manage to stay off the stinkies this time then really great, but if you find yourself back smoking again it could be worth investing in a slightly better e-cig & buying VG-only (vegetable glycerine) liquids - there's a few here on this forum who have a similar problem & know the best places for this.

Celestria Tue 04-Nov-14 08:03:57

Hey all. Turns out it was charged but I hadn't turned the battery on! hmm My intelligence knows no bounds smile

Haven't had a cigarette since 9.30pm last night. Really enjoying vaping. The banana flavour is very subtle and it does feel like properly drawing on a cigarette. I'm glad I paid a little more for it. It's easy to fill and I haven't noticed any leaking smile here's to a day of vaping away!

Allergictoironing Tue 04-Nov-14 08:13:42

Yay well done! You would be surprised just how many people forget to turn their e-cigs on..... wink

OliviaBlue Tue 04-Nov-14 08:59:55

I would def try a better ecig again - but I'm just saying, disposables are not a good idea - i think they're cheaply made (surprisingly..) and full of bad stuff.

Kinda like cigarettes!

magimedi Tue 04-Nov-14 09:13:57

Celestria - The first battery I had that turned on & off I went back to the shop with, complaining it didn't work. blush

Celestria Tue 04-Nov-14 11:13:47

I think if vaping is something you are really serious about it worth investing in it. My ecig wasn't highly expensive at £25 but there were some for £5. I was a wee bit strapped for cash but figured may as invest as I really want off the proper cigarettes.

I thought I would have it hanging out my mouth all the time but I guess the strength is fine for me as I've used it twice today and that's it. Normally I would have had four or five cigs by now. smile

PlentyOfPubeGardens Tue 04-Nov-14 20:26:34

This is cheap and not bad at all. The battery's a bit small and if you take to vaping you'll probably want to upgrade quite quickly but a couple of these and some juice will see someone through their first few weeks smile

Olivia I've never heard of this Bulldog brand ecig, where did you get them? There are now a few diposables which are not a bad vape. The pricey ones like Vype and Blu are not brilliant and they work out shockingly expensive - don't believe any stated cigarette equivalence - but if you get the high-strength ones they're good enough to give you an idea of whether vaping could work for you.

Letthemtalk Tue 04-Nov-14 21:09:48

I've seen bulldog brand in home bargains? Celestria, what clearo are you using? Banana can be a tank cracker.

Celestria Tue 04-Nov-14 22:08:55

Crystal atomiser CE4, came with the Ego-T kit. smile

Celestria Fri 07-Nov-14 20:52:56

Has it only been four days since I started vaping shock

Still very vaping happy, zilch cigarettes at all since I started. Have the few I had left in a pack to my mum yesterday.

Tried strawberry, banana, bubble gum, cola and pomegranate flavours so far. Wish I could find some slightly stronger flavoured ones though!

Joined an fb vaping group and everyone appears to be at war with each other. My vaping knowledge is better than yours and all that hmm oh well. Will stick to here where it's safe grin

Letthemtalk Fri 07-Nov-14 21:07:30

Well done!!! Whats the fb group? Pm me!

Letthemtalk Fri 07-Nov-14 21:09:56

Oh and if you are looking for a vaping community, try all about e cigarettes. Can get a bit technical but they're a good bunch really and very friendly and helpful

PolterGoose Sat 08-Nov-14 08:31:51

Celestria Sat 08-Nov-14 11:53:31

Polter, it's all a bit confusing really. I don't know where to buy from online, which brands are reputable, how to know the PG ration when you buy liquids in shops. I'm such a novice smile

PolterGoose Sat 08-Nov-14 12:04:51

PolterGoose Sat 08-Nov-14 12:08:53

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now