Talk

Advanced search

Some really stupid vaping questions

(10 Posts)
firstposts Sun 02-Nov-14 13:10:37

Hello,

I'm relatively new to vaping, but I love it. Probably a bit too much as its permanently in my hand! No vape shop near me so thought I would ask my stupid questions here...

Does it turn teeth yellow?
Is it no more harmful than any other NRT?
Is what I exhale damaging to others around me?
What is the etiquette regarding using it in bars?
Is it really as harmless as say, drinking lots of coffee, or are they not sure yet?
I have occasionally used it in the same room as my kids. I feel that this is probably wrong and am absolutely prepared to stop that. I know at a minimum it glamourises smoking so shouldn't ever do it. Perhaps I need a flaming for that to ensure I actually never vape around them again.

Think that's all, any thoughts much appreciated

magimedi Sun 02-Nov-14 13:49:10

I've been vaping for 2 years.

It doesn't turn teeth yellow.

Certainly no more harmful than any other NRT

Your exhalations are not harming anyone, but I would also not vape around young DC - just would not want to give them any ideas about smoking.

I vape in bars & cafes & have only once been told that vaping was not allowed.

No question is too stupid to post here, it's one of the whole points of these threads!

firstposts Sun 02-Nov-14 14:19:37

Thanks so much, very helpful.

I think with vaping I still feel a bit furtive when doing it in public? Worried that the non smoking person next to me might find it unpleasant.

Great to hear no more harmful than NRT.

Just need to make sure my vaping stick not accessible to me during the day when DC are around... Hide it upstairs or something. I have never once had a cigarette in front of my kids <1 and 3> but did use NRT gum. So I just need a bit of willpower on that front.

Thanks again smile

magimedi Sun 02-Nov-14 14:29:29

I see more & more people vaping in public1

My DC is an adult but I would be worried about vaping around ones as young as yours, not only for the whole 'smking vibe' but for the dangers if they got hold of the vaper or the liquid.

You could always have a stealth vape whilst on the loo - no smell lingers (from the vaping grin )

firstposts Sun 02-Nov-14 14:53:21

Yes, exactly. I keep the liquids in a high cupboard with the cleaning chemicals but its more that I don't want to normalise smoking for them. I will be stronger, if I wouldn't dream of smoking a real one why am I being so weak!! Argh.

On the bright side since my first day vaping I have not been remotely tempted to have a real one. Even on a boozy night out with my friends while we all stood in the smoking bit. As a non smoker I would miss them, sometimes years into being a 'non smoker' i would crave them, wish i could have just one. Now I know I will never have another real one and it feels good!

PolterGoose Sun 02-Nov-14 16:58:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Sun 02-Nov-14 19:14:23

Well done Firstposts! flowers

Michael Mosley covered ecigs in the latest episode of Trust me, I'm a Doctor - reassuring stuff smile

In your position I'd just keep it out of their reach in another room - it's not much hassle to nip and have a couple of quick drags on it where the DC don't see - it's not like a fag that's going to burn for a few minutes.

My DC are grown up but I don't particularly hide it from children if I'm out and about. A couple of children have asked about it and I've been honest - said that I used to smoke and that it was making me very ill but I couldn't stop so now I have to use one of these so I don't start smoking again. Very glamorous!

PlentyOfPubeGardens Sun 02-Nov-14 19:21:05

Etiquette in pubs -

I always ask at the bar first. If they say it's OK but people are eating or there are DC about I stealth vape. I never ever blow big clouds in a pub and if it's very crowded I go outside.

firstposts Sun 02-Nov-14 20:03:45

Wow, thanks everyone smile really helpful useful posts.

I am quite evangelical about vaping but have heard scare stories about lack of regulation, no knowledge of long term side effects and lots of talk of it being banned in public places soon. I hope it isn't, it's the only method of giving up without the 'deprivation' feeling, at least for me. I think it could wipe out actual smoking in a generation or two ... Thanks again

PlentyOfPubeGardens Sun 02-Nov-14 20:19:22

firstpost, unfortunately there's a filthy dirty quagmire of politics surrounding ecigs at the moment. A lot of people stand to lose a lot of money if people stop smoking en masse. A load more stand to lose if all those people quit without the help of public health or pharma.

Clive Bates is probably your best way in to understanding what's happening (if you've got the energy!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now