Talk

Advanced search

Really need some expert advice on vaping - the difference in Ohms in coil heads

(5 Posts)
WalkingInMemphis Thu 30-Oct-14 23:35:12

I've googled (a lot) but can't find any information that's helpful.

I've been vaping about 3 months but am a bit of a dunce when it comes to technical stuff...all the various names/products/fancy vapers are beyond me tbh.

I have a 2ml basic clearomiser which is an 'aspire BDC'. It has a replaceable coil, and up until now it's been fab.

Anyway, I went to the local vape shop I use yesterday and bought some new coils. Put one in and it just wasn't right. It seemed like a 'cold' vape, completely unsatisfying, much less 'pull' or resistance when you suck, so felt less like a cigarette iykwim and less flavour. Like there was too much air coming out. It also seemed to be giving me a tickly throat/minor cough that you tend to see when people first try a vape, but I've never had this since i became a regular user.

So I chucked it, thinking it was a bad one and tried another - exactly the same.

I went back to the shop and asked if there was a difference in the coils I'd bought and was told yes, they've 'upgraded' their coils and now use 2.1 OHMs instead of the previous 1.8 OHM that I'd be buying. They no longer stock the 1.8s.

The guy was adamant that I must be imagining it as the 2.1 OHM 'should' be better in all ways. There was no reason for a lower resistance etc.

Anyway, I've googled and can't really find anything about the difference the OHMs in the coil make. Can anyone explain it? Does a higher OHM make for less resistance when 'smoking'?

I've checked the small print on the coils - the old (good) ones I used said '1.8 O (3.0-5.0V)'. The new (shit) ones say 2.1 O (3.0-6.0V).

Can anyone help?

PolterGhoul Fri 31-Oct-14 07:27:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Fri 31-Oct-14 19:34:31

Your local vape shop is chatting shit, sorry!

2.1 ohms is in no way an upgrade. Ohms is the same as resistance and as Polter says, lower ohms (or resistance) = higher watts = more vapour. If you are using an ego battery, 2.1 ohm might be worth trying to make your battery last longer, otherwise there's not much point. If you have a variable battery, try cranking it up a bit to get the same power.

You can get some replacement coils here at 1.8 or 1.6 ohms.

WalkingInMemphis Sat 08-Nov-14 10:04:15

Sorry about the long delay in posting again!

I've since discovered what the problem is, and it's not related to OHMs.

The old coils they did were BDC coils. The new ones are the supposedly better BVC.

I find the BDC so so much better, and they're no longer stocked so will have to buy them online.

Anyone else experienced problems or an unsatisfying vape with BVC.

PolterGoose Sat 08-Nov-14 10:27:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now