Do E Cigs smell like cigarettes?

(37 Posts)
PotsofGold Wed 14-May-14 17:22:17

My neighbour has just moved out, I will call him John (not his real name). My landlord owns the property next door as well as the one I live in.

I bumped into the landlord today, who had come around to clean up and he asked me to go into next door and tell him if I could smell anything. I could smell cigarettes very strongly.

The landlord asked me if I knew whether John smoked, and I told him that John had mentioned to me that he smoked e cigs. The landlord said that he was having a dispute with John because he wanted to retain some of the deposit to repaint and replace the carpet due to the smell, but John is demanding his full deposit back because he says that he didn't smoke in the property, and that he wasn't told that he could not use the e cig, only that he couldn't smoke.

The cigarette smell was very evident, I smelt it myself. Is it possible that the smell came from the e cig, or is he lying and he must have smoked in there?

ginmakesitallok Wed 14-May-14 17:26:30

E cigs do not smell like cigarettes. They do have a smell, but it doesn't hang around like cigarette smoke.

PotsofGold Wed 14-May-14 17:29:42

Might the smell hang around more if the windows were hardly ever opened?

I only say this as I did notice that his windows were always closed and often were covered in condensation.

crazykat Wed 14-May-14 17:45:22

Ecigs have more of a sickly sweet smell to me. The smell does vary with the flavour but DH uses a tobacco flavour one that briefly smells sickly sweet but is gone in seconds, a bit like the brief scent of perfume when someone walks past you.

Raia Wed 14-May-14 18:01:16

The smell from e-cig vapour doesn't hang around in the way that cigarette smoke does: it sounds like someone has been smoking in that property to me.

Allergictoironing Wed 14-May-14 20:14:33

The main smell from real cigarettes is the combustion of the tobacco leaf, same as the smell of a bonfire. There is nothing being burned in an e-cig so no combustion products - and these are the bits that hang around leaving smells and staining walls, carpets etc.

I have had friends comment how my house no longer smells of smoke since switching to e-cigs a few months back, and I haven't been able to get the carpets or soft furniture cleaned or replaced yet.

So in summary no, there is no noticeable odour left behind from vaping e-cigs.

Optimist1 Wed 14-May-14 20:18:19

I reckon John hasn't aired his house at all since he gave up cigarettes and started ecigs!

Shonajay Sat 24-May-14 13:40:02

No, they don't. I vapes in my husbands car to try it out, came back NO lingering smell at all. I can even vape in bed, it's fab. So either he's lying or it's residual smoke from before he stopped, either way he broke the tenancy agreement. I'm still pulling clothes out of my wardrobe ten weeks after I stopped smoking and they stink of cigarettes.

antismoker111 Mon 16-Jun-14 16:37:29

There is a smell from e-cigarettes, my sister in law said they smell like cigarettes (her son is a long term smoker and she had the stained walls to prove it until he moved out). Also I have a lung condition and the fumes affect me badly especially in enclosed places. On 2 occasions the 'smokers" have laughed at my discomfort!

Allergictoironing Mon 16-Jun-14 17:55:30

Antismoker I'm a bit surprised at that - my sister is incredibly anti to any smoking and has a particularly sensitive sense of smell, yet she is happy for me to vape in her house. Another interesting fact is that the majority of vapers don't even use a tobacco type flavour, so how vaporised fruit flavours are apparently smelling of burnt tobacco is beyond me.

Any smoker type smells are likely to be a case of someone "dual fuelling", i.e. still smoking as well as vaping. They will, of course, still smell of cigarette smoke even when they are vaping.

There is nothing in e-cigarette liquid that can affect your lungs, in fact the ingredients (bar the food flavourings) are all ones used in various forms of prescription drugs including asthma inhalers among others.

Jux Mon 16-Jun-14 18:38:10

My almost fatally asthmatic uncle came to visit a couple of years ago. I stood in the porch and had a fag but had to go right out to the road, as he was so badly affected - and he was over 20 feet away, round a corner, and there was no wind.

He visited us a few weeks ago, and I vaped right in front of him. No problems at all.

As for the smell. Well, John is lying.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Mon 16-Jun-14 18:52:46

My house has the odd whiff of custard, various fruits and caramels but because it's water based it settles out of the air very quickly. Even the 'tobacco' flavours smell nothing like lit tobacco.

Maybe you are particularly sensitive to one of the flavourings, anti. Next time it happens you should ask what flavour they are using. If you are allergic to something it would be good to find out what so you can avoid it in food as well smile

ineedausername Mon 16-Jun-14 19:54:44

of course e-cigs don't smell like cigarettes... because, well, they aren't!

Allergictoironing Mon 16-Jun-14 21:40:39

I'm wondering if antismoker111 is having a psychosomatic reaction to the e-cigs? You know, like the studies done where people have thought they were drunk & acted drunk, even when they had actually been drinking alcohol free drinks.

antismoker111 Mon 16-Jun-14 22:06:13

We know what we were smelling and it was not from their clothes! It is not a psychomatic reaction either! The "reaction" occurred for quite some time BEFORE I saw the device and I was gasping for breath, this was in a bird hide where smoking is BANNED. I have discovered I have problems with members of the nightshade family i.e. tomatoes so it is obviously the nicotine that is the problem. On all occasions there was no fruit smells. FYI I have various allergies and intolerances and my best friend cannot stand either the smell from cigarettes or e-cigarettes and she has no allergies!

Allergictoironing Mon 16-Jun-14 22:17:09

So you can't eat potatoes either I presume, that's unfortunate for you.

antismoker111 Mon 16-Jun-14 22:48:29

YES

antismoker111 Mon 16-Jun-14 22:50:12

YES

Jux Tue 17-Jun-14 00:11:30

Antismoker, that sounds awful, and very difficult for you. Vis a vis those vaping in the bird hide, perhaps they vaped in the hide because smoking was banned, but still smoked when they were in other places where smoking is not banned, and what you experienced was the smell and smoking residue from their clothes?

It's true some people are allergic to pg which is one of the constituents of eliquid. It is worth checking whether you are too, as this is used extensively in the food industry.

PlentyOfPubeGardens Tue 17-Jun-14 08:52:52

Poor you anti, that must be really difficult having those intolerances. I can't imagine not even being able to have a cup of tea.

There is a trace amount of nicotine in exhaled vapour - it's around 1/10 that produced by second hand smoke (and of course you don't get any of the other nasties)

I'm a bit confused though. Why are you telling us what your sister in law said they smell like when you clearly have come across them yourself? Also, which particular ecigarette can your friend not stand the smell of? They all smell very different and none smell at all like a lit cigarette (much to the dismay of many new vapers who are looking for something that tastes like the fags they are used to). Some people even mix their own juice and put no flavourings in - they don't smell of anything because nicotine itself doesn't have a smell.

BTW there are lots of smells I cannot stand - most perfumes and aftershaves, lots of takeaway foods, farts, BO ... this is not a sensible reason for banning stuff.

antismoker111 Tue 17-Jun-14 10:34:01

Jux - no their clothes did not smell of cigarettes, I am not so thick that I just think the reason I started coughing was due to the smell on their clothes, give me a break! She was definitely using an e-cigarette and my husband SAW it before I started coughing (and BEFORE I SAW IT) and he CHOSE not to say anything to avoid a confrontation! No comment on the user laughing at my discomfort, shame on you all! My sister in law remarked in a restaurant that the smell was as if someone was smoking and then saw an e-cig user, and loudly said "That man is smoking over there"! So it's her opinion is that they smell like cigarettes not mine. I just cannot stand the smell of cigarettes and cough when someone is within several feet of me, same with a neighbour of mine, whose neighbour smokes outside their door in front of the air vent, she has had a cough since this neighbour moved in! My best friend just cannot stand any smoking smells; her son nearly died because of a severe asthmatic attack when exposed to cigarette smoke outside a shopping centre, it was that bad she said, he required urgent hospitalisation. BTW I do not use any perfume as another friend of mine is severely asthmatic and cannot even abide wood burning stoves in a pub, so I am considerate around people who MAY have this problem. FYI takeaway foods, farts, BO do not cause harm to someone with a lung problem, the are merely offensive smells. I have not read any posts on this, perhaps a new thread in the making???

ineedausername Tue 17-Jun-14 11:25:51

I don't know why you keep going on about cigarette smoke. It's not the same as e-cig vapour......

TantrumsAndBalloons Tue 17-Jun-14 11:33:29

But....it's not smoking

I understand that you have an issue with cigarette smoke. But vaping is nothing like smoking. Not even tobacco flavours smell anything like cigarettes, they just don't.

antismoker111 Tue 17-Jun-14 13:36:32

I was explaining that I have a problem with anything with nicotine as have lots of other people. Whether it is exhaled from cigarettes or e-cigarettes. SIMPLE!! I have a choice in what I inhale I prefer it not to be nicotine from whatever 'device'!!

Frusso Tue 17-Jun-14 13:43:00

I think E-cigs smell like smoke machines (like at discos and shows)

However if John smoked cigarettes outside the house, but vaped inside, the smell of cigarettes would be in the house because it would be from his clothes etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now