Talk

Advanced search

DS1 wants to change his surname - where do we start?

(6 Posts)
moopymoo Wed 03-Jun-09 15:04:30

Wasnt sure where to post this ..
ds is 11 and starts secondary in september. We have no contact at all with my feckless ex - his dad and havent heard from him for years. We have been a family unit of me , ds1, husband and ds2 for many years and have often talked about ds changing his surname so that we all share the same one - i always wanted it to be his choice and he now says he wants to do it before he starts senior school. does anyone know where to start with this or can point me to the legal ramifications? As I say, we have no clue where his dad is - do we need his permission?
tia

GypsyMoth Wed 03-Jun-09 15:06:10

Deed poll. Their website should tell you more.

moopymoo Wed 03-Jun-09 15:10:09

thanks - just had a look and do need exh permission. not good.

Haribosmummy Wed 03-Jun-09 17:25:47

Moopymoo..

I think it might be worth seeing a solicitor.. I think if you can show that (i) you have tried to find your ex and he couldn't be found or (ii) your ex doesn't have PR for the child then it's not required.

It might be worth posting for advice in Lone Parents too - I think that this subject has come up a few times there.

I think it would be nice for your DS to have his name sorted for secondary school.

I hope you can get a resolution!

HM

queenrollo Wed 03-Jun-09 17:42:34

my mother simply told all the relevant people (dr's, school etc) that i was using my step-dad's name. (i might add that she did this when i was too small to know, so it was a shock at 13 to find out my dad was someone else, but this clearly isn't an issue for you)

My friend has also done this with her now 16 year old daughter, and she will change it by deed poll herself when she is legally able.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 04-Jun-09 19:33:53

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now