Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

entertaining older DSD during half term

(8 Posts)
pinata Mon 13-Oct-08 11:26:23

my DSD is coming to stay for her whole half term next week and i'm racking my brain on how to entertain her and my 10mo DD.

DSD is 12 and i think at an age where she has started going out with friends occasionally. i worry that she gets bored with us and our baby routine, as she has no friends in our area

what do others do in this situation, with huge age gaps and DSC's friends living far away? ideas so far are a day in the park inc. cafe etc, day at grandparents' but other than that i'm a bit stuck. DH has to work so it will be just me and the DCs

Surfermum Wed 15-Oct-08 10:26:29

When dsd comes we go shopping, swimming, make cakes or sweets, go to the cinema, watch DVDs. She loves to spend time on the PC too and would do that all day if I let her! We've spent time doing her homework as well.

She's also gone to the sports centre to do various activities, they do day courses. She's done climbing and trampolining.

How far away does she live? Would it be feasible to organise for a friend from school to come for a sleepover or a couple of days?

Anna8888 Wed 15-Oct-08 10:28:19

A 10-month old is less trouble than a two year old to combine with a 12 year old DSD.

You can go to the cinema during your DD's nap time - she will be sent to sleep by the darkness and warmth. You can go to restaurants, shopping, museums...

pinata Fri 17-Oct-08 22:07:03

hmmm - she lives quite far away so i can't imagine a friend being allowed to stay

sports centre might be good though

the problem is that we've had contact problems over the last year and this is the first time she's been to stay for any length of time since probably this time last year

she has changed so much in that time that i feel like i can't really do the same things we used to, and of course previously i didn't have a small baby to consider at the same time

i'm probably worrying over nothing as she is lovely and not at all high maintenance

TheHedgeWitch Sun 19-Oct-08 17:38:45

Message withdrawn

pinata Sun 19-Oct-08 20:02:53

if only i could bear to hand over the laptop to her, but i need it to MN wink

giddykipper Sun 19-Oct-08 20:08:31

Why don't you ask her?

pinata Thu 23-Oct-08 10:58:39

that is the logical solution, but she's the sort of child that will always say "i don't mind".

anyway, it has been good so far - we went to a museum and a city farm and also to sainsburys where i gave her half the shopping list to find.

i'm tired but has been fun

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now