Talk

Advanced search

Room changes...

(12 Posts)
emskaboo Thu 11-Sep-08 12:41:20

I need some advice as Dh and I are having a disagreement. We live in a three bed house which we've been in for about four years DSD has a bedroom next to ours and there is a large upstairs attic room which DH uses as his office (he works from home). We have a DS who is 9 months and currently sleeps in a cot in our room. We're splitting the upstairs attic room into two (pretty small) rooms, 7 x 8 and 13 x 9. I think DSD and DS should go upstairs into attic and DH should have DS's room as his office as this room is large enough for him to work and has reasonable sound proofing (he is a musician). DH thinks he could have smallest room upstairs and DSD should have larger of two and DS should have DSD's room as DS still wakes several times a night. I think this will make DSD feel displaced and upset, and we should just get ready to go up and downstairs all night! DH thinks we should ask DSD but I think if we ask her she will say it is fine when it isn't because she has people pleasing tendencies. (DSD is btw totally fine with moving to the room upstairs and is in fact quit excited as we've agreed she can choose how to decorate it)

What do you think, and thanks if you've managed to get this far!!!!??

Surfermum Thu 11-Sep-08 12:57:56

If it were me I'd opt to go with your dh's suggestion. I would want dd near to me if I was getting up at night a lot, and I would think it was better for dsd to be further away and therefore not disturbed by all the movement.

But I'd also probably think longer term and what sort of bedroom dd would need as she got older.

I don't really understand why your dsd would be upset about it.

jammi Thu 11-Sep-08 14:03:05

Message withdrawn

emskaboo Thu 11-Sep-08 17:26:50

Thanks guys, maybe I'm trying too hard?

jojostar Thu 11-Sep-08 19:47:17

how old is dsd? does she live with you full time?
I would put both children upstairs and the office on level with you. that will stop any I'm nearer than you

BrownSuga Fri 12-Sep-08 03:11:05

I'd put DS who is only 9mths on the same level as he is only weeny. Your DSD may like having the top floor to herself, kind of a special arrangement, like a big girl's room type thing.

emskaboo Fri 12-Sep-08 16:26:42

Thaks JoJo tha's what I want to do, but DH wants DS nearer. BrownSuga, yep that's what DH thinks but the new bedroom will be much smaller than her current room and I'm worries this will upset her as her baby brother will get 'her' room and he's litteler than her?

jammi Sat 13-Sep-08 09:23:56

Message withdrawn

emskaboo Sat 13-Sep-08 09:56:55

That's a really good idea Jammi and will definitely appela to her 7 going on 17 vibe!

jojostar Sat 13-Sep-08 15:09:31

has she always lived there? or thats always been her room. If this is the case I would either put them both floor above or leave her there put ds upstairs. Is she only seven? I'd be worried about her being moved and either resenting baby or being moved and thinking you love son more, at that age it could well come into her head. I can see the point of big girls room arent you big now but I think maybe the change of rooms would be too much as she is already coping 'sharing' you...A tough one defo are you going to have anymore children? would you have to move? i'm only asking cos when i moved in with dh my 2 dsd only came twice a wk but they kept their room and my two were squashed in to a box type room it came to the point we didnt have enough room anyway and when we moved it was sorted then.

jojostar Sat 13-Sep-08 15:12:55

just though have you asked her (in a round about way) what she thinks about all the rooms being switched maybe she'd enjoy the room above yours if she can say how she wants it etc....

emskaboo Sat 13-Sep-08 20:56:35

Thanks jojostar, those are exactly the points I've been mulling over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now