Talk

Advanced search

SC fussy eating

(6 Posts)
Sage20 Mon 02-Mar-20 18:55:40

Would love some advice, SC (10) stays with us 2-3 days a week depending on what DP is working that week. When I do the food shop I don't buy specific things for anyone, but try and get things that everyone eats if that makes sense, including SC. The issue is that SC is just so fussy! One week they'll eat a certain cereal, the next week they'll say they hate it, likewise with fruit, dinners, snacks. Everything really. They won't even eat a sandwich for lunch. DH just ignores as doesn't want to 'get at' SC but equally he's not the one who does the shopping or cooking. It's getting beyond frustrating purposely buying something as I know they eat it and then them refusing to.
SC mum feeds them lots of 'convenient' food and sugary food which I try to avoid buying too much of, so as its not the same as Mums house she won't eat it.
Any advise at all? I don't want SC to go hungry but I'm not a pandering type, I certainly don't with our younger DC.

OP’s posts: |
chocolatesaltyballs22 Mon 02-Mar-20 19:12:17

My youngest stepson (12) used to be like this. One minute he would eat something, and the next week he decided he didn't like it. I'm afraid the only answer is to not pander to them. We did this (husband fully supported) and he now eats anything we put in front of him. If your husband wants to faff about with separate meals then tell him to shop for them and cook them!

aSofaNearYou Mon 02-Mar-20 21:03:37

If your husband wants to faff about with separate meals then tell him to shop for them and cook them!

This. You cook what you would normally cook (reasonably bearing in mind what she has been fine to eat in the past), and if she doesn't want it he sorts it one way or the other.

HeckyPeck Tue 03-Mar-20 15:32:08

Agree with PPs. Cook what you normally do and if he wants to pander then that’s his problem to deal with.

loststarling Thu 05-Mar-20 13:14:59

Yep. My DSC recently decided to "be vegetarian" which translates to not eating their previous meaty favourites, but also not wanting the vegetarian food I put in front of them, then demanding pudding.

My DP scrapes their plates of uneaten food and gives them pudding.

I have just decided to cook to the diet they claim to eat and if they want something else then DP can make it.

Qwertygert Thu 05-Mar-20 13:23:28

My DSD was incredibly picky when she first started staying. She would make herself sick eating mashed potato. Over the last 18 months she knows we feed her healthy food because it helps her grow rather than giving her what she requests like at her mums. She is getting really good with trying new things and just eating her tea as if she doesn't she doesn't get pudding. If you are not hungry enough to finish your tea (we serve small portions on pudding days) then you do not have room for treats! She also knows not to ask for sweets or snacks before dinner time in our house as she is told no but at her mums she can eat whatever snacks she wants even when her tea is cooking so never clears her plate there.

Luckily my DH agrees with me and we are a united team. She knows if she gets a no from me if she asks her dad he gives her the same answer as she used to try and play us off against each other x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »