Talk

Advanced search

Is my income taken into account for Maintenance?

(18 Posts)
Bookaholic73 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:55:21

I’m starting a new job and would like to know if CMO takes my income into account when working out how much maintenance my partner should pay?

Ratbagcatbag Thu 18-Jul-19 18:56:18

No. It's solely based on your partners income.

Bookaholic73 Thu 18-Jul-19 19:00:10

Thanks Rat, I don’t know why I thought otherwise.

surlecoup Thu 18-Jul-19 19:12:52

Which country are you in?

Bookaholic73 Thu 18-Jul-19 19:21:18

In the UK

Parky04 Thu 18-Jul-19 19:35:46

No is the correct answer.

Bookaholic73 Thu 18-Jul-19 19:41:04

@Parky04 brill, thanks for clarifying for me.

Frankola Thu 18-Jul-19 20:09:48

No. His children, his financial responsibility. Not yours.

readitandwept Fri 19-Jul-19 18:46:38

Why is he paying maintenance if the kids have now moved in with you both?

brightfutureahead Fri 19-Jul-19 19:27:46

No and rightly so.

LauraKsWhiteCoat Sat 20-Jul-19 13:50:30

I've been wondering the same thing. Googled it but can't find any official website stating that my income is not considered in the payments my partner makes for child maintenance. Can anyone send a link for definitive proof so I can shop DP to reassure him?

stuffedpeppers Sat 20-Jul-19 17:54:53

The CSA calculator s about the persons income not the couple.

The flip side to this and what pisses people off, is your DCs ( if you have any!) are now considered his dependents and this allows him to reduce his CSA payments to the RP. The belief being that he now contributes to their upbringing aswell, so the RP needs to find the difference for their joint child - sucks for those on the receiving end of such fucked up thinking.

JoanMavisIcecreamGirl Sat 20-Jul-19 17:56:26

stuffed reduction for resident children is usually a really tiny %

It was about 96p a week less for us. Its really not as big of a deal as rps like to make out.

Gooseygoosey12345 Sat 20-Jul-19 21:20:17

@readitandwept where does it say that?

readitandwept Sat 20-Jul-19 22:06:05

OP has another thread in Step-parenting which says the kids have moved in with them and their DM has moved away.

stuffedpeppers Sun 21-Jul-19 08:10:14

JoanMavis - I must have misread the £18 per week that 2 children reduced my maintenance and the £22 per week when their 3rd arrived.

It is a principle that is morally wrong - my 2 did not become £20 cheaper per week because he was looking after her two and then their own came along.

The other flip side to that is the now EX OW is claiming that my 2 should not be in the equation vs her 1 because I earn enough!!

Whatever way you look at it - the RP should not lose monies for someone elses DCs that are not related to the NRP.

JoanMavisIcecreamGirl Sun 21-Jul-19 08:36:37

stuffed is your ex on a high income?

Ours was legitimately pennies.

No, your did not get cheaper but his responsibility got broader and unfortunately you have to suck it up. Just as if you were together and had another child your older child wouldn't cost less but you would have to make your money go further, just like millions of other people do.

Your children are not any more important than any subsequent children you or your ex may go on to have.

Step children, yeah i sort of agree there. And obviously your maintenance is no less important than hers.

stuffedpeppers Sun 21-Jul-19 09:41:15

Never said my children were more important than any more he goes on to have, likewise his previous DCs are no less important when it comes to his monies, time and effort.

However, reductions for children that are not his - are the RP subsdising the lifestyle of the new "family" and are wrong.

Sucking it up - is what are lot of RPs just have to do, I work so can make up the shortfall but that is not the point

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »