CMS when NRP receives state pension

(7 Posts)
ElinoristhenewEnid Wed 27-Jun-18 16:49:37

Have I read this right?

Checking on-line calculator for an acquaintance about CMS rates.

NRP receives state pension (plus generous private pension) - CMS calculator states that NRP is only liable for £7 per week due to receiving state pension.

OP’s posts: |
ohreallyohreallyoh Wed 27-Jun-18 17:18:36

Yes, it’s outrageous.

NorthernSpirit Wed 27-Jun-18 18:13:47

How old is the dad? You receive state pension at 65! Even if he’s paid full NI contributions he’d be receiving circa £700 a month. Not sure how your friend knows the details of how much private pension he gets?

Of course he should pay. Has he been asked?

Justneedsomeinfo Thu 05-Jul-18 19:21:38

The state pension being a form of benefit will attract the rate of £7 a week. In the old CSA your friend coukd ask for a variation on his private pension. Not sure if this applies to the new CMS way of calculating maintenance. Your friend should contact them and mention a variation they should then tell her if this applies.

HeckyPeck Sat 07-Jul-18 13:26:21

From CAB: "Payments you get from an occupational or private pension will count as income."

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/children-and-young-people/child-maintenance/child-maintenance-2012-scheme/child-maintenance-calculation/the-2012-child-maintenance-scheme-calculating-maintenance-income/

Justneedsomeinfo Sat 07-Jul-18 20:56:54

Obviously the link to CAB from @HeckyPeck is correct income from an occupational or private pension is counted as earnings. However the fact that someone is in receipt of a State Pension will take preference and primarily the £7 flat rate will apply. However as per my previous post under the old CSA there was a way round this by way of a variation but i don't know if it applies to the new agency now.

SandyY2K Mon 09-Jul-18 03:26:40

Must have been an old dad. This is why it's not great having kids in later life.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in