Talk

Advanced search

struggling with stepdaughter

(6 Posts)
keishakeils Sun 07-Jan-18 12:21:29

hey was just looking for some advice, my stepdaughter is nearly 6 and I'm really starting to struggle with her, ive been living with her father since she was 1 so always been a constant in her life but she's so difficult I mean very demanding and if she's not happy no-one can be she dominates the relationship, extremely short tempered and lashes out, and very protective over her father i cant go near him half the time now without her kicking off, i dont get it, but he doesn't seem to be able to see this?? or somehow thinks it's me winding her yo when genuinely she just starts out of nowhere, and recently she's started to get really hurtfull being spiteful with comments and repeated hitting and kicking at me witch I don't understand cause she's never been like this before only the last few months?? any ideas I thiugh initially it was because were expecting our own child but then realised it had started before this but that defiantly has made the situation worse, Help please!!

OP’s posts: |
keishakeils Sun 07-Jan-18 12:22:20

also she never does anything shes told just kicks up a fuss and screams

Blackteadrinker77 Mon 08-Jan-18 18:30:57

How does her Dad deal with it when she hits people?

You have to find away to live together as she isn't going anywhere.

You sound jealous of the time they spend together.

user1486915549 Mon 08-Jan-18 20:07:22

How on earth did you deduce that Keish sounds jealous?!!
Keish , has something changed in her life with her mother ?
Any new partner or new siblings ?
I am sure expecting a baby has changed things for her but you say it started before this.
Has her father tried talking to her to try to find out how she feels ?

keishakeils Mon 08-Jan-18 20:40:52

not particularly no, I mean she has a younger sibling from her mother who's 2 but the behaviours only recently changed, and yeah he's tryed she insists theirs nothing the matter.

Snowbelled Mon 08-Jan-18 20:46:25

That sounds hard our dd is 7 and can behave awfully. It really needs both of you to find techniques that work and stick together. With DD the most effective is trying to deflect the bad behaviour by being playful before it escaltes and ignoring her when she kicks off. When she has quitened down then telling her it wasnt acceptable. Ypur DP needs to step up. Being a stepparent adds another layer of difficulty. Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »