Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Age gaps

(3 Posts)
AstrantiaMallow Tue 10-Oct-17 11:13:36

Not sure this is the right place or if it's one for Relationships

I just wonder if anyone has any tips or any idea what to expect on the following:

My DCs (both under 10) meeting my boyfriend's DS who is 20 and at uni. BF and I are expecting a baby. We are not living together but will be in the New Year. I have met the 20 year old DS who is very nice and has a very good relationship with his dad. He lives away except during holidays and some weekends.

Current plan is to go to museum so my DCs can do an activity and BF, his son and I can help or interact as required. Followed by a meal out. We don't want it to be full on for any of the children.

I've no idea what to expect. I imagine nothing much? I guess I just want them to get on, except I've no real idea what that might look like or even be realistic bearing in mind the age gap? And in the longer term?😬 I'm also not sure how all the age gaps are going to work once there's a new baby...

Magda72 Tue 10-Oct-17 12:27:29

Hi Astra,
I'm the youngest in my family by 10 years with my eldest sibling being over 20 years older that me. I have a great relationship with my siblings & we're very close but it's probably more like a niece to aunts & uncles than sister to siblings.
My eldest also has an 18 year gap between him and his half siblings on his dads side. He's mad about them but says it's very like my experience - he feels like their uncle.
I'd say it will be similar for your dss. I'm sure he'll develop a lovely relationship with his step siblings & half sibling but it will be a bit different to normal sibling relationships because of the age gap.
I'm sure it will all work out & hope you all have a lovely day.

AstrantiaMallow Wed 11-Oct-17 10:51:40

Thanks Magda. Encouraging and reassuring to know it worked for you and your son and that you're both close to your siblings. I can't get my head round it all. My BF's son is an only child - so I feel like he'll soon be dealing with an invasion of small children. It's not exactly like this of course but I get a bit worried. I wouldn't want him to resent it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now