Talk

Advanced search

DSD doesn't like DP and I hugging - is this normal?

(10 Posts)
EagledWingsofRefuge Sat 04-Mar-17 13:34:57

DSD is 5 and lately every time her dad (my DP) and I even so much as hug or hold hands she comes in between us and moves him away from me. She never used to be like this. Is this a normal phase for a 5 year old? I don't have DC of my own and struggle to know what's normal or not.

pinkish Sat 04-Mar-17 13:38:12

my dss sometimes did this and my dd always always did. Even now she likes to join in and interrupt any conversation (annoying!)

KickingKat Sat 04-Mar-17 13:38:29

My DD is 3 and does the same thing with ex and his girlfriend. She loves his girlfriend but seems to hate them hugging.

Ex said she shouts "no hug daddy no hug daddy" and pulls them apart!

She's younger than yours but still I think it's quite normal

EagledWingsofRefuge Sat 04-Mar-17 13:42:48

Thanks both. pinkish how old is your DD?

I think I find it hard because she's only recently started doing it. On the plus side though previously she was really difficult to interact with and she was super independent to the extent she didn't even wasn't anyone playing with her. Now at least she does want me / us playing with her / doing things with her.

pinkish Sat 04-Mar-17 13:46:27

Mine is 9 and has stopped doing it (mostly!) She has a high need for attention, and is very cuddly.

I would just open your arms to include your dsd. And hold her hand yourself rather than her dad's sometimes. And I'd make a point of being cuddly with her if she is comfortable with it.

Make sure your dp is strict on bedtimes etc so you do get time alone together.

Aroundtheworldandback Sat 04-Mar-17 16:34:01

When my dd was little she always hated me hugging their step dad. It went on for years. The only hing that changed it was when I realised she felt excluded. When dh asked her to come and join in, there was a marked improvement.

yousignup Sat 04-Mar-17 16:41:22

Yes. DD is 9 and has known her SD for 6 years but still won't let us hold hands in the street or enbrace. She gets in the middle. It's nothing against DH though.

TisapityshesaGeordie Sat 04-Mar-17 16:52:32

My 5yo DD does this when DH and I hug, or show each other any affection really, and he's her dad! She says it makes her jealous.

Cynara Sat 04-Mar-17 17:00:29

My 2 year old DS doesn't like it when DP and I hug or kiss, and DP is his dad. DS is very affectionate with both of us, so I think perhaps he's jealous if affection is shown which seems to exclude him. I would think it's probably a normal phase.

Newmother8668 Sun 05-Mar-17 07:36:55

My DH's kid did this at 4 and 5 years old twice and my DH told him never to do that again. The first time he wedged himself in, so it wasn't noticeable to DH. The second time, he took my hand out of DH's and slapped my hand away. DH had stern words with him and his son never did that again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now