Talk

Advanced search

6.5 year old super sensitive to noise

(5 Posts)
Bahh Sat 11-Feb-17 18:48:51

Any sort of noise other than normal talking level and she cries, runs away, starts breathing like she's about to have a panic attack. While we were out today the pedestrian crossing noise triggered it, as did a shop alarm down the street from where we were eating. Last week I set the fire alarm off by accident (crap chef) and she was up until 3am crying and wouldn't let me leave the room because it terrified her. She's back this week and again having a meltdown, refusing to be alone, screaming crying, won't sleep or eat or talk about anything. Just says she's scared and wants to go back to mums.

This isn't really an advice thread, just a question if anyone else's kid or step kid is like this and how you handle it. I don't have my own so can't say for sure but I just don't think this is normal behaviour?

BlueClearSkies Sat 11-Feb-17 21:02:37

I have parented 5 kids and have never known this behaviour.

Does she display this behaviour at her mothers?

Bahh Sat 11-Feb-17 21:18:13

I think so, her mum did say she had a thing with their fire alarm as well.

OH doesn't think there's anything wrong. As I say I don't have my own so may be way off base but just doesn't feel right. There are other things that contribute to me thinking there may some sort of additional needs at play sometimes.

workingmumsarebad Sat 11-Feb-17 21:25:33

This is real and there is a very simple treatment - my DC had the same.

I was deeply cynical about the treatment but it has transformed our lives. Simple things are now do able - eg writing with a pen, cutting with a knife - very tense stressed child now happy.

I have messaged you

Missjumblebum1 Sun 12-Feb-17 21:30:44

My eldest has asd and is sensitive to noise. Doesn't even have to be loud, sometimes it can be something like someone humming. But an alarm would defo send her over the edge, she is also very anxious and I could imagine something like the fire alarm going off would start her thinking about there being a fire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now