Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed

(26 Posts)
Dreddhk Wed 11-Jan-17 15:16:16

I have been with partner for 5 months I have 4 children of my own he has a 10 year old daughter, this week she has had a complete meltdown and has gone into her school saying I was horrible and mean to her, I'm so upset and hurt and today gets better she has told her dad I hit her all made up, her dad is always here what do we do about this, what's the best way to parent this situation, at the moment I just feel like I don't want to see her or be near her, we have spent both today and yesterday trying to work out why she is doing this?? Has anyone experienced this??

OneWithTheForce Wed 11-Jan-17 15:30:16

her dad is always here what do we do about this,

"We" do nothing, her dad stops always being at his girlfriend of 5 months house when he is having contact with his daughter.

Dreddhk Wed 11-Jan-17 15:44:40

She lives with him full time

OneWithTheForce Wed 11-Jan-17 15:52:13

so why the hell is he always at yours? hmm

bolognaadvice Wed 11-Jan-17 16:00:39

Send a friend round dressed as a police officer to interview her. It'll freak her out. Seriously kids can't lie about this sort of stuff... regardless

OneWithTheForce Wed 11-Jan-17 16:06:53

Seriously kids can't lie about this sort of stuff.

The irony of lying about who you are to teach a child not to lie.

OneWithTheForce Wed 11-Jan-17 16:07:10

Fwiw it's illegal to impersonate a police officer

bolognaadvice Wed 11-Jan-17 16:08:56

Ok crap idea!

Underthemoonlight Wed 11-Jan-17 16:12:27

some very strange comments. Its only been 5 months how far into the relationship did you actually met her?

Why not consider that maybe shes a bit overwhelmed i'm guessing as she lives with her dad and him being her main parent just him and her she has now coping with additional 4 children and a new partner. She is acting out because of the massive changes in her live, could you maybe back off and allow her to spend time with just her and her father. What is the situation with her mother?

Lunar1 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:35:59

Maybe you should just back off. You've been seeing your boyfriend for 5 months. I'm not sure why he would immediately believe you over his dd. I've no idea why you had to involve children at this stage.

swingofthings Wed 11-Jan-17 17:02:16

Are you living together? If so, that's a serious rush and her behaviour is probably her ways of expressing her dissatisfaction with the way things have moved so fast. Maybe she is crying to be listened to and feel that the only way she will be is if she makes some serious allegations.

If I were her dad, I would be taking this seriously and try to think why his daughter could be making up something like this. If I were you, I would back off and let him deal with it.

Underthemoonlight Wed 11-Jan-17 20:35:42

I feel op won't be back.

ZouBisou Wed 11-Jan-17 22:45:37

OneWith, it could either be read as:

Her dad is always (saying) "Here, what do we do about this?"

Or

I can't have hit her because her dad is always here (when I am with her)

Or

Her dad is always here, at my home (this one makes the least sense in the context)

Underthemoonlight Thu 12-Jan-17 08:27:42

It's a shame in these threads where op fails to see what other posters can blatantly see because they want to prioritise their relationship with their new dp without taking into consideration the thoughts and feelings of this girl involved and even their own children

PatriciaHolm Thu 12-Jan-17 08:33:19

You don't parent her. You are not her parent, nor a step parent. You are her dads girlfriend, who in a 5 month relationship shouldn't be in any sort of parental role.

Her father needs to deal with this, calmly, without you anywhere around, and ideally you wouldn't be around her much at all.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 12-Jan-17 08:40:18

Jesus, tube been with him 5 months and you have already introduced the children?! shock

really bad move, far too much too soon! She's acting out because she is massively overwhelmed I should think.

Back off, and stay at your own home when he is having contact with her.

Dreddhk Thu 12-Jan-17 09:05:31

Thankyou for your non judgemental constructive advice!!! My grammar is appalling so I think my original post read slightly wrong as in the he is always here post!! we are neighbours and the children already knew each other before we decided to get together!! I do not believe we have rushed our relationship, I do believe her behaviour is a reaction to change, she is also one of four children however her natural siblings are all 20 and over and no longer live at home!! I agree her dad should parent her, I was looking for advice tips??

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 12-Jan-17 09:14:57

you've had excellent advice- bsck off and be far less involved!

Underthemoonlight Thu 12-Jan-17 09:44:48

Regardless if your neighbours it seems all too much for this girl which is why she is reacting. It's totally different to seeing your neighbour and kids to becoming a blending family and spending together in that capacity she is clearly overwhelmed about the situation.

mrsaxlerose Thu 12-Jan-17 10:42:59

Yes . My DSS was 10 when I met my DH and he used to tell horrendous stories about what I had done to him and said to him. At first his dad would defend him. That got the desired reaction. One day he told a lie so huge that his dad questioned it and I had witnesses. After that he would question him before exploding at me. He is now an adult and tried it right up until he was in his early twenties but his dad now backs me up and get all three together to discuss the allegation and that's when the lie unravels. Perhaps try that. When she accuses you of something all get together and discuss it and ask question like when did it happen, where etc

mrsaxlerose Thu 12-Jan-17 11:02:42

Yes . My DSS was 10 when I met my DH and he used to tell horrendous stories about what I had done to him and said to him. At first his dad would defend him. That got the desired reaction. One day he told a lie so huge that his dad questioned it and I had witnesses. After that he would question him before exploding at me. He is now an adult and tried it right up until he was in his early twenties but his dad now backs me up and get all three together to discuss the allegation and that's when the lie unravels. Perhaps try that. When she accuses you of something all get together and discuss it and ask question like when did it happen, where etc

Dreddhk Thu 12-Jan-17 11:26:11

Thankyou underthemoonlight I agree I'm thinking the way forward is we go back to seeing each other is without her involved!! We are very fortunate that we are both self employed and are able to spend days together while children are at school, she is supposed to spend every other weekend at her mums although she sees this as punishment and in 4 years she only manages from Friday at 5 until Saturday 11am so enforcing her to spend the whole weekend with her mum as she is supposed too. will not help her!! She also won't be happy with this as she generally enjoys her time with the kids and as a family I feel this is also ostrisicing her and see this as a punishment too, I am considering what is best for her and dont want to make things worse. I've considered ending things but she does not want that either it's so hard...there are four very happy children just the one is acting up!!

Underthemoonlight Thu 12-Jan-17 13:35:47

From your response it seems very intense and full on it's only 5 months with all the kids together. Her DF needs to get to the bottom of what her issue is with going to her mothers?

Lunar1 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:47:26

Such a shame that one pesky child is ruining you playing happy families with a boyfriend of 5 months! Keep your children separate from your relationship right now, the proximity of being neighbours rs has made you rush things.

OneWithTheForce Thu 12-Jan-17 14:54:24

At 5 months my DC didn't even know I was seeing anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now