Talk

Advanced search

Bank accounts

(15 Posts)
afromom Tue 09-Aug-16 15:56:40

After a frustrating day I am turning to Mumsnet for some help!
We have been into town today to open a bank account for DSD. My DS has one and she has been hinting that she would like one too. I pay £10 per month into DS's and we thought we would do the same for DSD. Easy right??? Not so much!
DP banks with 2 banks, one he has 2 current accounts and a savings account and the other he has a savings account.
His main bank have refused to open an account for her as her Mum has one there for her and she is only allowed one with that bank. Really not helpful for separated families!
The second bank also won't open one for her, as DP only has a savings account there.
We are currently trying to save like mad for a house and raise our credit ratings as much as possible, so don't really want to faff about opening any more bank accounts in our names.
Has anyone got any experience of this problem? And do you know of any banks where we can open a child's account without the parent needing an account there too?

TimeforaNNChange Tue 09-Aug-16 18:36:00

Where do you bank? I acted as signatory on my DSD account years ago smile

Groovee Tue 09-Aug-16 18:37:36

How old is she?

My dd is 16 and we opened one at Nationwide for her.

HerRoyalNotness Tue 09-Aug-16 18:38:22

Is the a count her mum opened one for pocket money or long term savings? And is the 10quid you're going to give her savings or pocket money.

As I'm wondering why you can't just put it in the account her mum opened.

ladylambkin Tue 09-Aug-16 18:38:49

Could you not just deposit into her existing bank account?

afromom Tue 09-Aug-16 23:16:42

Thanks for the replies.
The account her mum opened was for savings for her, the one we are (trying) to open for her is for pocket money etc. Her mum wouldn't be happy for her to pay in and take out money from the existing account.
In theory she doesn't really need the account, we could just give her the pocket money, but she has requested the account as DS has one (they are going through a 'he has this, she has that' phase at the moment!)
DS is 12, so has one with a card, which works well for him, DSD is not quite 10 though so wouldn't be able to have a card account until she is 11.
I didn't realise I could do one for her, I do bank with another bank so that may be an option. Alternatively, we could wait until she is 11 then she will be able to have a card account like DS - which is allowed as its a current account rather than a second savings one.
I never realised it would be so complicated to open a simple pocket money account for a 9 year old!

Lunar1 Wed 10-Aug-16 09:38:45

What about a go Henry card? Her dad could keep a good eye in it and she can have a card.

afromom Wed 10-Aug-16 13:31:34

I had thought of the lunar. Have you used one? Do they work well? I wondered if there was a monthly cost involved?

Lunar1 Wed 10-Aug-16 15:17:34

My ds isn't old enough yet you have to be 8. I think there is a small monthly cost. My friend uses it, the money isn't transferred till a couple of weekly jobs are done by her dd. there is also an app so she can check spending and set a weekly spending limit.

OutToGetYou Wed 10-Aug-16 15:23:26

The answer to all this is Nationwide, they are really good with kids' accounts. we opened a JISA for dss and they didn't need to refer to any adult accounts - dp doesn't have one there, I do but wasn't there when they went in to open it for him. Mind you he is 15.

HST, dss has an account at Barclays and it's no problem that dp has his account there.

Heavens2Betsy Wed 10-Aug-16 15:40:37

Santander do a 123 account for children
And an 11-15 pocket money account
I'm sure you don't have to bank there to open an account for a child.
You do need all the child's ID though

afromom Thu 11-Aug-16 22:27:18

Thanks for the replies, we will try those banks this weekend and see if we have any luck. We have ID at the moment as we have just applied for a passport for her, so thought we'd do it now whilst we've got her birth certificate, etc.

navylily Thu 11-Aug-16 22:49:39

I have osper cards for my DC. Really simple and perfect for pocket money. You can load money into it instantly, and can see what they've spent it on. Much easier than a bank account.

swingofthings Fri 12-Aug-16 13:07:54

I don't see the point of a current account if she can't get a card to withdraw money from it.

You can just say to her that she can have a current account when she gets the same age than DS got his.

I'm pretty sure DD was able to have a card to withdraw money from the age of 11 or 12 and then get a debit card from 13/14. That's with HSBC.

navylily Fri 12-Aug-16 18:38:54

I think Osper cards are from age 8, and they can use them like a cash card to get money out or like a debit card to pay with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now