Talk

Advanced search

A happy and positive step parenting story

(10 Posts)
LittleLionMansMummy Wed 04-May-16 10:59:26

To give you all hope and a smile really, there is so much step parenting angst.

Currently pregnant with no. 2. Told 16yo dsd2 and our 6yo ds before anyone else. She was overjoyed as we knew she would be, bless her. She lives with her mum but we see her most weekends still - she always makes sure she comes to see us and plans her social life accordingly.

On Sunday we were discussing finances (worried about twins, although we think it's just the one!) and dsd says "you can stop my allowance when the baby is born if you like, I don't mind at all". I was a bit gobsmacked tbh and told her of course we won't stop her allowance, we'll make sure all our dc are cared for. I just sort of looked at her and thought how incredibly lucky we are to have her. I mean, she's beautiful inside and out and so utterly selfless.

She then went on to say that she wants to be around even more when the baby is born so she can give ds a lot of attention because she knows he might feel left out with the attention the baby will get. She's a fabulous big sister to ds and i love to hear their laughter together when she's around. He adores her. She's even planning on buying him a present, as well as the baby when it's born.

I've shared a lot of experiences on here about dsd1 which haven't been so positive, but the relationship we have with dsd2 is well worth celebrating I think. Somehow we all (dh's ex and her dh too) managed to produce a well adjusted, loving, thoughtful and beautiful young lady between us all, despite the trials and tribulations along the way.

I feel very lucky to have her in my life - her support and help over the years with ds has been invaluable.

I think the sunshine has gone to my head. smile

hesterton Wed 04-May-16 11:01:49

I'm blessed with a similarly wonderful dsd. Credit to her mum and dad. You do realise how lucky you are when you read about some of the experiences people have on here, don't you...

KelleBelle Wed 04-May-16 14:30:56

Lovely post flowers

Rosewine72 Wed 04-May-16 14:35:44

Oh lovely, so nice to see something positive x

HormonalHeap Wed 04-May-16 17:54:38

A breath of fresh airgrin

lateforeverything Wed 04-May-16 22:09:20

Ahhh lovely to read this. smile

This week dss' form tutor told us that dss is a credit to me and his dad at parents' evening. He lives with us full-time and is likewise v well-adjusted.

lateforeverything Wed 04-May-16 22:10:41

Oh and Congrats! flowers

LittleLionMansMummy Thu 05-May-16 15:29:56

That's lovely lateforeverything - makes the effort worthwhile doesn't it? smile

lateforeverything Thu 05-May-16 21:55:23

Yes it certainly does. But at the same time dss is so lovely that he is not too much of an effort... I'll see if I'm still saying that when he hits his teens grin

We have a social worker coming to our house soon because I'm hoping to adopt him. ❤

LittleLionMansMummy Fri 06-May-16 10:07:01

Aww that's a lovely story late I really hope you will adopt him! Dh's dad adopted him when he was around 12 (his bio dad walked out a few years earlier). They're very close. He never gives his 'real' dad a second thought.

We've had a few years of issues with dh's ex, which I suppose it what I mean by effort, but they're behind us now and things are much better all round, which can only be a good thing for dsd who loves us all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now