Talk

Advanced search

1 week into going cold turkey with her dummy

(13 Posts)
hfullwood Mon 21-Mar-16 09:30:33

Hi all,

I am having such a difficult time at the moment and could really benefit from some advise. My daughter, who is now 8 months old has always been a bad sleeper, we've tried everything including a bit of controlled crying but nothing seems to work. We have had a few days where she's slept through but they are extremely rare.

About a month ago she started waking every 1 hour for her dummy so 6 days ago we decided it was time for it to go. She only had it for naps and nighttime sleep before but she started being dependant for it. Everywhere I read, said that after the first 3 days, things would start to improve. Well they haven't at all.

Every nap we have a real fight to get her to sleep but she does end up going whilst sucking a teething ring. (But again she's still sucking something so I don't know if that's the right thing to do). At night she's the same but wakes up around 3 times and will not go back to sleep without a feed. I am breastfeeding her and before she was waking for a feed at 5ish and that's it whereas now I'm feeding her three times in the night and at 5. So I don't really know if removing the dummy has done us any favours as she's replaced the dummy with my boob. She's not waking so often but it's just that naps and nighttime sleep are terrible, it can take an hour to get her to sleep. I've tried carrying several comforters around with me but she won't take to anything.

Those of you who went cold turkey with a dummy, when did things get easier?

I really don't want to give up as I've read that the earlier you get rid of it the easier it is, and we've had 6 terrible days and nights already. I have been co sleeping to make things easier at night but it's still difficult.

I do know that we are probably in the 8 month sleep regression too but we've always been in some regression as she's always slept bad. sad

Thanks in advance
Hayley

Wdigin2this Mon 21-Mar-16 12:14:57

I know I'll prob get critised for this.....but give her dummy back! She's not too old for it at 8 months! I had two DC, one of which would not have a dummy, instead she sucked her thumb until she was 8 or 9. You can take a dummy away...but not a thumb!

woody2976 Mon 21-Mar-16 12:23:04

yes im still trying to stop my 8 year old sucking her thumb but easily took a dummy of my son at 3 and his teeth are fine.

woody2976 Mon 21-Mar-16 12:23:31

so yes i agree. give it back. dummies are a godsend.

GlitteryFluff Mon 21-Mar-16 12:49:10

If give it back to her personally. 8 months is still a baby!

Rosa Mon 21-Mar-16 12:53:42

Give it back ... put 3 or 4 in the cot so she can find it and put it back in herself . DD gave hers up on her own 3 days before he 4th birthday . Her teeth are straight and she is bilingual.

Wdigin2this Mon 21-Mar-16 13:53:01

My son had a dummy until he was 3, then just stopped, he has perfectly straight teeth, daughter who sucked her thumb had to have braces!

swingofthings Mon 21-Mar-16 14:01:27

DD wouldn't take a dummy when she was a baby. She suffered from bad colic (that went on until she was 14 months old) and the only thing that comforted her was a bottle of water. She used to go through 4 at night. Then her brother was born, also suffering from colic and also refusing a dummy....but DD at 3 picked one up and then decided she loved them...until a year later, I realised that it was affecting her teeth, so decided it was time for her to give it up....which resulted in her sucking her thumb. I could have screamed that she didn't go for her thumb from birth!

As a result, her teeth ended up really bad and at 11, she needed braces...but....she didn't care (as half her friends did too anyway, whether they sucked on anything or not!) and now at 16, she has perfect teeth.

Looking back, it wasn't worth all the battles. If your DD needs the dummy to settle herself to sleep, then so be it. Much better than you enjoy her time with her as a baby than trying desperately to do something that is leaving both of you frustrated. They grow too quickly!

MeridianB Mon 21-Mar-16 14:27:28

Another vote for giving it back and forgetting about it for a little while. Not least because there are more teeth to come... bigger ones!

Bananasinpyjamas1 Mon 21-Mar-16 14:53:55

Give her the dummy. It won't be long until she can find a dummy and put it back herself at night.

Wdigin2this Mon 21-Mar-16 16:05:33

Well, I am surprised (and pleased) I'm not the only one who's for giving this baby her dummy back...I really thought I'd be shot down in flames!

hfullwood Mon 21-Mar-16 19:21:01

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm quite glad you've all said give it her back as that what I wanted to do deep down but my husband wasn't in agreement and I didn't want to give up if things were likely to improve soon but after all your comments he's agreed smile I guess my little lady needs the extra comfort right now. Hopefully we will have a better night tonight, fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Wdigin2this Mon 21-Mar-16 23:19:50

Good for you, I hope things improve now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now