Talk

Advanced search

Side family

(15 Posts)
Nostalgianow Fri 12-Feb-16 19:35:52

Would you be offended if your SDC called you this?

In the context of an Instagram photo hashtag #offtoseesidefamily kind of thing? (Not the exact hashtag but similar!)

Nostalgianow Fri 12-Feb-16 19:36:39

Not my DC btw. My friends 15 year old SD. I don't think it's rude, she does

VimFuego101 Fri 12-Feb-16 19:37:42

Yes, I would. But since it would be one of the less offensive things DSD has said, I would bite my tongue.

CantWaitForWarmWeather Fri 12-Feb-16 19:47:44

What on earth is a side family? Is it another. phrase for the NR household by any chance?
A bit on the side for extra taxi services and money etc...

lunar1 Fri 12-Feb-16 19:57:23

Could it just be short for 'other side of my family'?

WhoHasACrystalBall Fri 12-Feb-16 19:57:51

My niece who lives with her mum has her mum under "birth giver " on her phone. My sister was obviously upset buy kids just don't think sometimes. But yes, it's rude

Nostalgianow Fri 12-Feb-16 20:00:22

Yes just side family. No problems as far as mate was concerned. Think she feels it's rude. I think it's just a saying

RandomMess Fri 12-Feb-16 20:00:53

I can't remember what one of my DDs has me under but it's a piss take that could be taken offence at, put I just think "meh, teenagers"

daftgeranium Fri 12-Feb-16 20:52:20

yes I think it's offensive and her parent should call her out on it. Nobody is more important than anyone else in a blended family.

Bluelilies Fri 12-Feb-16 21:08:34

Teenagers use a lot of odd slang and hashtags on Instagram. And I guess "side family" kind of makes sense took describe a part of your family that's not your main day to day family.

But your mate presumably knows her DSD and may therefore have a good idea how she meant it. Worth looking at the comments she's received on it to figure out how it's being interpreted

enderwoman Sun 14-Feb-16 16:47:29

How often does this child see the other family? The "standard" for non resident families is 6 overnights a month which is 20% of the time. For some children it's even less. I can see why that side of the family becomes a side family.

As an owner of teens I can't imagine them ever using "non resident parent" to describe their dad. I imagine they'd call me main parent or usual parent rather than resident parent.

Just had a thought- on a family tree that side of the family would literally be on the side of the original family so wouldn't be a negative at all.

enderwoman Sun 14-Feb-16 16:47:31

How often does this child see the other family? The "standard" for non resident families is 6 overnights a month which is 20% of the time. For some children it's even less. I can see why that side of the family becomes a side family.

As an owner of teens I can't imagine them ever using "non resident parent" to describe their dad. I imagine they'd call me main parent or usual parent rather than resident parent.

Just had a thought- on a family tree that side of the family would literally be on the side of the original family so wouldn't be a negative at all.

Heavens2Betsy Mon 15-Feb-16 16:01:20

My nephew has his Mum as 'old cow' on his phone.
It's to impress his mates but she was mortified.

Wdigin2this Wed 17-Feb-16 20:08:39

Call me old fashioned, but I don't think kids of this generation understand, or accept the concept of 'being rude'!

yankeecandle4 Wed 17-Feb-16 21:12:03

It could be just a teenage sort of terminology or she might mean side family as opposed to her main/RP family. I saw my DF every weekend but considered him to be a side branch off my main family tree, not out of spite/nastiness but he was not involved in my daily life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now