Talk

Advanced search

Father's Day!

(27 Posts)
Wdigin2this Sun 21-Jun-15 11:50:37

It's almost noon, no calls and no show yet....hmmmm!

swingofthings Sun 21-Jun-15 12:13:33

I've only just send a message to my dad. Surely as long as it is today, it's ok. Are you both watching the clock with expectation?

Chasingsquirrels Sun 21-Jun-15 12:15:08

It's past noon, and I haven't contacted my dad yet (I'm still in bed), but I'm popping over later with a card and present.

I could text him, but then as he wouldn't see t until he turns his phone on for something in about four months there seems little point grin.

Wdigin2this Sun 21-Jun-15 12:26:42

No, neither of us is watching the clock, and DH hasn't even mentioned it....my comment is based on past experience! A last minute phonecall (9pm) with a promise to call in 'tomorrow', and an evening visit so speedy and lacking in meaning you could have blinked and missed it!! My DH does sooo much for his DC, they depend on his support greatly and benefit in many, many ways from his generosity! So...no, I don't think I'm being unreasonable to have expected by now, just a call to say happy dad's day....update, still nothing yet!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 21-Jun-15 12:27:24

How old are they?

SecretRed Sun 21-Jun-15 12:29:05

I've spoken to my Dad but didn't wish him Happy Fathers Day. It seemed ridiculous. I am going around there later with a card and a present though.

Wdigin2this Sun 21-Jun-15 12:30:06

Shall we just say, neither will see 39 again?

Wdigin2this Sun 21-Jun-15 12:31:37

I'm quite surprised tbh that anyone would ring their father today...and not immediately say, happy Father's Day dad?

Melonfool Sun 21-Jun-15 14:01:24

Is FD a thing for you then? It was never a thing when I was a kid, not sure it even existed.

I don't speak to my F, but dp has rung his dad to say it (I reminded him to say if, but he doesn't need reminding to call, he speaks to them a lot) and dss, not with us today, has texted to say happy FD, presume ex reminded him (and she probably made him give a card to SD).

wheresthelight Sun 21-Jun-15 14:09:54

Dp has t heard from his kids either. We were refused contact today because she wanted the kids to spend it with her dp

Madbengalmum Sun 21-Jun-15 14:18:03

OP, i am with you on this both my Sd's have not sent a card or rung my OH, today always upsets him.
They are both teenagers and old enough to know better.
It is disgusting!

Wdigin2this Sun 21-Jun-15 14:25:23

Well, DSC1 has been, but a flying visit!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 21-Jun-15 14:34:57

A flying visit is fine surely? We popped in to see my dad for 20 mins to drop a card off. FIL is abroad, not sure if DH has rang him or not (but very much doubt it!).
We're more of the 'show love and appreciation all the time' school of thought than 'show love an appreciation when we are told to' one!

Wdigin2this Sun 21-Jun-15 15:58:20

Well, it's not so much the flying visit I object to (although it's the first visit in weeks, and only a few miles away). It's the ££££££ that went out the door with DSC, (as per norm) that I find hard to take, today of all days! And DH envelopes them in love and care practically, emotionally, financially and every other way possible, always, and he never asks for or expects anything in return! What's more I know all he really wanted was to spend some quality time with his DC and DGC!

Wdigin2this Sun 21-Jun-15 16:25:59

Madbengal, when a DF is sooo good to adult DC, I agree...forgetting or not making much effort today is just not acceptable!

Fallout4 Sun 21-Jun-15 19:34:03

My husband hasn't had so much as a birthday, fathers or Christmas card since he started seeing me a whole year after she left him for another man.
Apparently it's my job now, strange that considering he's not my dad.

Melonfool Sun 21-Jun-15 20:04:39

dss came round, cycled over. Vaguely thought it might be due to FD, I hinted at him to say something to his dad. But it later turned out he had come up with a couple of ruses to try to get his confiscated iPhone back.
We've handed it over to his DM, she can deal with it.

Madbengalmum Sun 21-Jun-15 20:18:12

Wdigintothis,
OH has finally got a call, from the youngest SD, who he worships.
Better late than never, i am soo pleased it will at least make him feel much happier.
He tries so hard with them, i havent mentioned fathers day today for that reason and it is his first without his own father to make it worse, so thank god she has at least rung now.

Busybuzzybumblebee Sun 21-Jun-15 22:36:34

My dsc were here this weekend, no cards or even mention. I knew they wouldn't bother so got a card from all my ds and the dsc all together cause I didn't want to show them up but makes me cross they're old enough to say happy Father's Day

slkk Sun 21-Jun-15 23:14:29

Kids are just rubbish at this though aren't they? I'm sure mine wouldn't have remembered either if I hadn't kept reminding them to make their dad a card. And I do see it as my responsibility now we're together. They won't always remember, and it's no longer up to their dm is it (I also make sure they're sorted for her as she doesn't have a do and dh is rubbish at this sort of thing). Adult children, however, need to get it together on their own at some point and make the effort sometimes with their parents.

Melonfool Sun 21-Jun-15 23:24:13

I agree you can't expect kids to do it, even if they should be old enough.

I tend to sort dss for dp, we also make sure he gets his mum presents. It is easier now he's older as he knows what the olan is - early on dp got a present from him via me and another via ex, because dss didn't know ex had bought one from him. But it's all a bit clearer now.

Wdigin2this Mon 22-Jun-15 08:26:49

I think that I, and the few posters who agree wth me must be in the minority! But I still maintain that if you have a parent who is always there for you, always shows how much they care, and can always be relied upon...you are damn lucky, and the least you can do is show up on father's/mother's day with a card!

iwantgin Mon 22-Jun-15 08:32:27

Hmmm.. My DH got nothing from his DC. They are both late teens and live very locally, so no excuse really.

I 'encouraged' my DS to get him a card. I bought him flowers.

sad

caravanista13 Mon 22-Jun-15 08:33:09

Wdigin I agree with you! It's such a small thing to do and means a lot.

Wdigin2this Mon 22-Jun-15 08:42:20

My DC do it every year, and I don't ever have to remind them, they want to do it because they really appreciate their DSF!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now