Advanced search

child maintenance how much do you pay? recieve?

(25 Posts)
proudmummywife Fri 30-Jan-15 23:18:08

How much do you pay child maintenance? Or how much do u get paid child maintenance?

needaholidaynow Sat 31-Jan-15 02:35:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

heidiwine Sat 31-Jan-15 08:14:05

50% of salary (after school fees) for life. DP is a high earner who (IMO) was totally shafted by court system.

Cabrinha Sat 31-Jan-15 09:15:29

Why do people ask this question?
Some people pay / receive nothing.
Some people pay / receive eye watering amounts.
Lots of people are in between.

StockingFullOfCoal Sat 31-Jan-15 09:24:02

CSA says I should get £400 for my two girls, exP has them EOW, lives with his parents for free so no massive outgoings and a good salary.

I get £250.

DH on NMW, CSA says £80 a month but as DSS is rapidly growing teen we pay £80 plus go halves on uniform, trips, phone, hobbies.

StockingFullOfCoal Sat 31-Jan-15 09:26:39

My exP pays no extras.

Quesera21 Sat 31-Jan-15 09:36:39

Stocking - you and your DH have it right for his son.

My 15yrold niece lives with us and have to say £80pcm would not cover half of her outgoings! She is not extravagant and v careful but the extras quickly add up.

StockingFullOfCoal Sat 31-Jan-15 09:42:45

He's just had a promotion that starts in May so he won't be on NMW for much longer. He was just so fed up of being self employed and decided a lower but stable income was better. His ex is a single Mum with 2 other younger DCs and she works full time, I stay at home, so we have DSS the majority of the holidays so she doesn't have to worry about leaving him alone etc and he quite often will visit Aunties/Uncles/Grandmas on DHs side whilst with us during the school hols.

Imperialleather2 Sat 31-Jan-15 09:43:42

It's pointless to ask, it's bit like saying how much do you earn?

springalong Sat 31-Jan-15 12:30:10

Why are you asking? If you cannot agree there are set methods of calculation or even court.

proudmummywife Sat 31-Jan-15 12:44:31

Because I get not a penny from ds father he not a great dad at all but I'm going to let ds make up his own mind. I don't want to go tru courts as if he not willing to pay I'm not begging. We pay dsd cm 150 pcm. Plus buy her clothes shoes etc

PeruvianFoodLover Sat 31-Jan-15 13:09:17

proud you won't have to go to court for child maintenance - that went out years ago!

A phone call to CMS will get the ball rolling. It's not begging to act for your DCs and ensure their dad supports them financially.

yellowdaisies Sat 31-Jan-15 15:46:28

I don't think it's "begging" to apply to the CMS to collect money from your DS's dad confused Are you really prepared to let you DS go his whole childhood with less money available than you have a right to, just so he an judge for himself what a rubbish dad he has?

You won't need to go to court. You just apply, give them the details, and more often than not they get some money for you.

£150 a month is low-ish. I get £200 a month for my two, as ex is not a high earner either. But DH pays heaps more than that for his DC as he earns heaps more than my ex. All fair enough though.

If you know roughly how much your ex earns you can work out online what you could expect to get. The only times it's not worth claiming would be if your ex is in prison, under 18 or still a student, then you get nothing I think. Otherwise you'd get a minimum of around £25 a month, and more if he's earning - why would you forgo that?

Tryingtobehappier Sat 31-Jan-15 15:49:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WrappedInABlankie Sat 31-Jan-15 15:50:52

Just over £200 pcm

He reduces it at every opportunity and hides it when it's meant to be raised.confused

Even if you don't want it put it in a bank account for your DC then she has some thing to do driving lessons with etc.

LineRunner Sat 31-Jan-15 15:53:06

That's a bit personal. As pp said, it's asking what people earn.

And your actual issue is different from the original question, really.

concretekitten Sun 01-Feb-15 08:45:23

I will just say tho it's not always as simple as "go to CSM"
I get £10 every fortnight off my ex through CSA.
My ex is on benefits but I believe he sometimes works for cash in hand.
I know 100% he was years ago and earning £400pw, I didn't get a penny of it.
I reported him for benefit fraud and he got a slapped wrist.
There wasn't anything I could do to make him pay anything more than the £5pw.
I'm not even entiteled to my £5pw now that I live with my DH but I'm not making the call to inform them and if he does I'd be annoyed with him. It'll stop soon anyway when my claim transfers from CSA to CSM.

My friend's ex is a self employed driving instructor and very little of what he earns goes through his books.
He claims tax credits his income is so low but always going on fancy holidays with his girlfriend.
She only gets £60pcm but she should be getting much more.
It's really hard to get what you should when your ex knows how to work the system.
Reporting them to the authorities gets you nowhere.

concretekitten Sun 01-Feb-15 08:47:39

Sorry my friend gets £80 not £60. Still not much tho

yellowdaisies Sun 01-Feb-15 09:39:40

kitten Why do you think you're not entitled to the maintenance now that you're married? You're still entitled to it! It's money to help support your DC. It doesn't matter whether you're married, nor how much your DH earns.

If your ex is out of work clearly you're not going to get a lot off him- he hasn't got a lot to start with. But you're still getting something. And if the OP's ex has got a job, she'll get more.

proudmummywife Mon 02-Feb-15 11:11:42

My ex works but for cash in hand.he claims benifits and gets his rent paid for. I've no way proving anything

PeruvianFoodLover Mon 02-Feb-15 11:58:53

My ex works but for cash in hand.he claims benifits and gets his rent paid for. I've no way proving anything

So how is your OP relevant? It's quite inflammatory (there's a bunfight about the same thing elsewhere on MN at the moment) - and the only way the answers would be relevant to your situation is if one or more posters admitted that their DP was commiting tax fraud yet still paying CM.

Yes, your ex is an arse. There are ways of addressing that, by involving the authorities, and no, they are not always effective, but you don't know unless you try, do you?

Asking what others get/pay seems a bit self-defeating; you KNOW that your son is being hard done by; why start threads to reinforce that and make you feel worse?

yellowdaisies Mon 02-Feb-15 12:25:35

If your ex is on benefits you'll get £6 a week. That's about £25 a month, which is worth having I'd have thought. Unless you really want to make a principle out of having brought your DS up alone (without claiming benefits yourself, I assume, otherwise it's not that principled really is it - to claim money of the state, but not off your DS's other parent?)

And yes, if you are sure he has a significant cash in hand income and is claiming JSA (rather than tax credits and housing benefit, alongside declaring his income), then do report him to the Inland Revenue, or - better still - the DWP. They do put money into catching benefit cheats, so if he gets caught and therefore starts to declare his earnings, you'd get more money (though only if you put in a claim).

riverboat1 Mon 02-Feb-15 18:33:15

DP and his ex worked out together a fair sum, based on the 'cost' of DSS to his mum compared to the (lesser amount of) time he is with DP, his dad. They don't go through CSA.

Costs that come up periodically like after school activities, school trips etc are dealt with separately and split 50/50.

Georgina1975 Mon 02-Feb-15 18:40:49

My DP paid £250 per child to 18. Plus pocket money at £30 per child PCM. He also paid for school trips and related spending money (private arrangement that ended last year).

He has paid each DC £200 PCM direct through University.

I think it the £250 x 3 was roughly 1/3 of his take-home pay.

Georgina1975 Mon 02-Feb-15 18:42:35

Forgot he also paid for "big ticket" items - laptops, iPads, driving lessons...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now