Talk

Advanced search

Awesome things DSC's do / have done

(9 Posts)
FaithLoveandGrace Sun 30-Nov-14 16:27:58

We've had an absolutely brilliant weekend with DSS. DP was working yesterday so DSS and I went shopping and met Father Christmas which was fab and then put up the Christmas decs as soon as DP got home. We don't normally do them this early but we've only got one more weekend with DSS before Christmas so thought it'd be good to do them. Today's also been a fab day in terms of DSS.

DP's ex on the other hand has been a complete and utter nightmare this past week, including trying to restrict contact for no good reason (she's not even around this weekend!), arguing for the sake of it just to wind DP up and sending DSS in clothes / shoes completely inappropriate for this weather (it's been cold and wet here) - i.e. holey shoes and no coat.

Being a parent is hard. Being a step parent can sometimes be even harder. Kids know how to push all the right buttons which for various reasons can be harder to deal with as a step parent. Ex's, in laws and others can make things even harder again. Sometimes it's easy to focus on the negatives and it's really hard to think of the joys and wonders that can (sometimes) come with being part of a blended family. I thought it'd be good if we could all share the good parts too. The situation with DP's ex is winding me up so much atm and I really want to try and focus on the positives as it's been such a fab weekend, I can't let myself spoil it by being bothered by the ex.

needaholidaynow Sun 30-Nov-14 17:44:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scarlets11 Mon 01-Dec-14 14:34:00

My lovely DSD woke up Saturday and her second question was asking where I was (I was working for the day) and then we had a lovely chat when I phoned to speak to my DP later in the day. It was so nice to be missed

alwaystryingtobeafriend Tue 02-Dec-14 10:03:54

Shame not many have commented on nicethings the DSC have done.

Mine isnt so much of a nice thing more of a nice feeling i got.

I took dsd shopping and got her a hot choc and she said thanks then i spent most if the day with her playing with nail kits and friendship bracelet kits. She went for a drink and said ' dont move ill be back in 2 minutes' .

She is 10 and has been real bother lately but i have made more of a conscious effort with her ( despite all the couch carryon etc)

I thibk it was morebthe validation that she wanted to come back to me and sit with me that made me feel good. But it also meant i was making her feel good which was the biggest reward.

Its nice to acknowledge this because i feel like i have been giving kids a hard time and its been a struggle. The good times really makebup for all the crap times. X

needaholidaynow Wed 03-Dec-14 23:12:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bluejelly Wed 03-Dec-14 23:17:44

Nice idea for a thread. My DSDs are amazing and I wouldn't swap them for anything smile

chocoraisin Thu 04-Dec-14 12:26:17

the DSC were here last week for DP's birthday. We went shopping for presents for him, made a big continental breakfast together, decorated a cake for him together. The whole thing felt lovely and all our kids mucked in as a team, first time we've done something that felt quite so 'family'.

TheMumsRush Thu 04-Dec-14 12:55:06

Not so much big things, it's more the little the little things, the wanting a cuddle from dsd or hand holding, dss making a cup of tea for me. Saying "love you" with a hug goodnight (both of them do that) smile

alwaystryingtobeafriend Thu 04-Dec-14 23:18:42

I also got my 1st 'hug for no reason' today from dsd. 3 yrs it's taken. And I tell you what it might never happen again but it made me feel good after a long shitty day.

Maybe I'm not so bad at this step parent thing after all!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now