Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Presents....Yes, you heard me

(9 Posts)
LadyFromLaLaLand Tue 01-Apr-14 08:41:49

Christmas Presents in April.....

Ok. Long story short. After our 4th ruined Christmas and having not seen adult SD for 3 years I am wondering if it's acceptable to re-cycle her last Xmas present? I felt it was best to not involve me in choosing Xmas gifts for dh's grown up kids as comments are made to the effect that "that dress/perfume/bracelet (previous years) has her written all over it.....it's not from Dad" and "I don't want anything" to all enquiries in the past 3 years. This year, we'd arranged to have them over and "move on" yet again but it never happened as there were so many "we will if LaLaLady does this/that/whatever" conditions from his 3 that DH and I gave up and just did our own thing.

Now, we're in April and gifts still wrapped and sitting as a constant reminder of this bloody awful situation. Frankly, I'm all for saying "forget it!" as I have a number of birthdays coming up and frankly, a small fortune was spent and I'd rather like one of the items myself! Am I being mean? Unreasonable? The proverbial "wicked step-mother"? To cap it all DH mentioned to one of his kids that LaLaLady has great taste and helped him choose the gifts!! (I told him not to!)

What would you do? Trivial I know but I'm tired of looking at these beautifully wrapped and unwanted Christmas gifts.

sarahquilt Tue 01-Apr-14 09:10:39

I would keep them for myself tbh!

CocktailQueen Tue 01-Apr-14 09:12:04

Yep, it's serving nothing having them sitting there.

Re-gift them or use them yourself.

Next year, let dh choose gifts and stay completely out of it.

Russianfudge Tue 01-Apr-14 09:52:36

Put them away in a cupboard and forget all about them. If she turns up next year, she can have them and you and your DH won't have to go to any bother buying something at the last minute xx

GhettoPrincess Tue 01-Apr-14 09:57:32

Who spent money on them ? You did. Who's property are they ? Yours. You want I should run through that again ? You even own the wrapping paper.

As for next Christmas, this Christmas, who cares ?

It's a good few months away yet (although I heard an advert for a Christmas cruise today as in, bookings required.)

Your other half can sort his own kids presents out. No doubt that will be a success ! (Sorry if you have a problem with that last remark.)

purpleroses Tue 01-Apr-14 10:05:50

Sell them on ebay - or keep them, whatever.

If they come over and things get better, your DP can start buying them Christmas presents - you should stay out if it. But giving the presents from the Christmas when they didn't come over is only going to draw attention to the problems you'd be trying to move on from.

RedFocus Tue 01-Apr-14 13:48:01

Keep them. If he can't be arsed to receive why on earth would you keep them. I would have had them by 1st January personally.

RedFocus Tue 01-Apr-14 13:48:28

I meant she not he sorry blush

LadyFromLaLaLand Tue 01-Apr-14 16:52:43

Pretty sad, really. Every year we go through the same rigmarole. I love shopping for girls too, as I'm a mum to boys!

I wasn't the OW, by the way. Not that being one would make these adults toward behaviour (toward me and DH and I, as a couple) any more acceptable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now