Talk

Advanced search

AIBU DSS using my bedroom as an extension of his for wifi

(27 Posts)
LadyHH Sun 23-Mar-14 17:22:54

That's it really. He is 16. He doesn't get a good wifi signal in his own room, but him sitting in mine is doing my head in! Why doesn't he just sit downstairs??

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 23-Mar-14 17:38:09

Can you relocate the wifi thingy? <-- technical term.

Or buy one of those plug-in signal boosters?

LadyHH Sun 23-Mar-14 17:45:19

No, his room just seems to be in a blackspot. If we moved it we'd lose it from where it's needed by all of us for laptop, TV etc. would it be UR of me to ask him not to go in my bedroom for this? Testing your views before raising with DP who usually considers any such requests as scathing criticism of his pfb.

princessalbert Sun 23-Mar-14 17:48:53

No way.

I wouldn'tn't want any kids in my bedroom.

He needs.to use it down stairs or do without.

eurochick Sun 23-Mar-14 17:50:24

Get a wifi signal booster. They are pretty cheap.

hairypaws Sun 23-Mar-14 17:51:09

What exactly is it that bothers you? I often find my dd lounging on my bed on her tablet but it doesn't bother me (unless I'm up there trying to get some peace).

LadyHH Sun 23-Mar-14 17:56:02

I feel it's "my space" that it is the only place in the house that's mine. I do everything for everyone in here. Feel like the housekeeper sometimes and lack of proper respect for me. This just feels like the last thing that is mine isn't either.

Hassled Sun 23-Mar-14 17:57:57

Wifi Signal boosters are pretty cheap and they do help - one sorted our blackspot.

But no, wanting your own space that's yours and yours alone is completely reasonable. Hang on to it.

Petal02 Sun 23-Mar-14 19:13:06

I wouldn't want a teenage male, that I'm not related to, hanging around in my bedroom. It's intrusive and unnecessary.

wyrdyBird Sun 23-Mar-14 19:19:31

YANBU. Imagine if you did the same to him - chances are he'd be very unhappy about it...

A signal booster, or one of these, will solve the problem
www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/3490638/5-best-powerline-adapters-2014/

....it's not worth arguing about because it's so easy to fix

wyrdyBird Sun 23-Mar-14 19:20:33

....lack of respect and feeling like the housekeeper suggests bigger problems, though?

NCagain Sun 23-Mar-14 19:24:28

Be careful to say that you are doing this for him, not you, if you want to avoid bad feeling.

Obviously, if there are other issues this may not work, but 16 is a difficult age and it is always best to pick your battles.

So - say to DH and DSS that you understand it must be very inconvenient not being able to have wifi in his room, so you are going to fix it.

They will both think you are thoughtful and kind.

MostWicked Sun 23-Mar-14 19:51:25

Get a wifi booster.
My room is my space (and DH's of course) Not for kids!!

LadyHH Sun 23-Mar-14 20:26:46

Thanks for replies. I had tried a dongle years ago, but no doubt much more advanced now. Esp thx for the link wrdy

LadyHH Sun 23-Mar-14 20:39:36

Will have to move on this quick - as tonight it appears he has progressed to "doing some exercise" and has left a pair of socks on the floor - in MY room!!

IAmNotAPrincessIAmAKahleesi Sun 23-Mar-14 20:41:16

YANBU

I adore my teenage sons but I would not be happy with them doing this

PigletJohn Sun 23-Mar-14 20:46:38

Sit in his room, eating chocs on the bed and throwing the wrappers on the floor.

PigletJohn Sun 23-Mar-14 20:48:00

And maybe do a bit of leg waxing.

NurseyWursey Sun 23-Mar-14 20:48:52

Is your house noisy? Maybe he wants to be alone in the quiet.

It wouldn't bother me personally. Would it bother you if it were your own child or is it just anyone

Get a signal booster as many have said, job sorted.

brdgrl Mon 24-Mar-14 00:32:37

Signal booster or not, get him out of there. WTAF.
Imagine if you read a novel and did pilates in his room...

BeverleyMoss Mon 24-Mar-14 10:27:51

Ha ha PigletJohn grin

Quite, it's your space. YANBU

theredchicken Mon 24-Mar-14 12:24:51

Yanbu. Get a wifi booster but in the meantime ask him to stay out of your room. No way would I expect any of the kids in my house to do that, step or not.

shey02 Thu 27-Mar-14 10:07:04

Get a tp link for his laptop or one or two of the plug in boosters, I have a big house with blackspots and they do work.

And really, it's not a child/stepchild issue. My bedroom is my space, tidy, clean and my own children do not hang out in there. That's what their rooms and communal rooms are for.

flowery Thu 27-Mar-14 10:09:29

Get a booster yes, but it's unacceptable him helping himself to your bedroom regardless. Presumably the signal is fine elsewhere in the house, in which case why your bedroom rather than downstairs?

MatryoshkaDoll Thu 27-Mar-14 10:44:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now