Talk

Advanced search

Any SP ever gone on strike?

(9 Posts)
ShesYourDaughter Sun 09-Feb-14 17:54:22

Not sure what the official abbreviation for Step Parent is?

Just sitting here after another day of serfdom, 5.45 and all the ingredients are sitting there for dinner with everyone assuming they will miraculously turn into a meal by virtue if the fact they made it into the kitchen by themselves.

DSD has been a PIA, DSS played both parents off against each other like a pro, and more stuff which only matters to me and quite frankly I've had enough for one weekend. Hate to say it but they are not my kids so why should I bother??

Kaluki Sun 09-Feb-14 18:22:07

Where's your partner?
Why is it up to you to feed the dsc?
Yes I have gone on strike and refused to cook before and DP gave them a bag of crisps and an apple for tea!!!

Bluesandgreen Sun 09-Feb-14 18:26:40

I did for a while with my ex and his children. I seem to remember everyone - DSCs and DH - complained about it to DSCs mother confused

She on the other hand was quite supportive and understood exactly what the problem was! DH was exDH within the year and I've never looked back smile

MuttonCadet Sun 09-Feb-14 18:30:48

I've given the warning a couple of times, but to be fair DH is very good at pulling his own weight and the kids will help if asked.

I am assuming you've asked for help?

ShesYourDaughter Sun 09-Feb-14 20:47:26

Domestic chores might as well be another planet to them.

Daddy has grandma come in to do the laundry and she brings her cleaner with her so nobody does f* all at dads house.

Ironically they enjoy the freshly cooked meals at ours. I've always cooked, I think the value of sitting down together over a good meal can't be underestimated. But the bonding element, between the kids if nothing else, of clearing up is not to be underestimated either.

Yes it's DP's fault. And we fall out about it regularly, but her response isn't to make the kids help more its to do it all herself.

Do I have a Disney mum???

caramelwaffle Mon 10-Feb-14 10:17:21

Yes.

Kaluki Mon 10-Feb-14 11:32:13

Yep - definitely a Disney Mum!

anklebitersmum Mon 10-Feb-14 12:11:10

Initially we muddled through and there was some parental "well you deal then" and "do it yourselves" action. blush

Children are flippin' smart though and soon learn where playing the 'I'm allowed/Mummy says/I don't have to at home' card will work-be it to avoid doing something, upset the other child(ren) or to cause parental hissing.

So we set up 'house rules' as we had one each, both age 4, and the rules in each parental household were light years apart.

It doesn't matter what happens elsewhere (ie the other parent's house) but with us our standards are adhered to by everyone. DH and I discussed what was acceptable in our house and then set out the rules to the boys in a clear, calm manner;

We all help with chores, we all tidy up and we all play nicely with each other, we all eat what we're given and we all go to bed when we're told.

We also agreed between ourselves that if we disagreed with an off the cuff 'ruling' one of us had made then we would quietly let the other one know and discuss it at the earliest appropriate time (away from bat-like ears) with the initial 'ruling' remaining in place until the parent that issued it changed it (if applicable of course).

Worked for us at the time and since, the 'original two' are now 14 with more siblings now and divide and conquer behaviour (like asking DH when I've said no already) is a no-no for all be they mine, his or ours and is met with joint parental wrath.

impatienceisavirtue Mon 10-Feb-14 13:25:26

I keep meaning to.

Every time the DSC are here I think "RIGHT, THAT'S IT" as DSD especially is so bloody rude, false and ungrateful. I tell myself the next time they come I'll not bother doing anything for them as they dgas anyway.

And then they come and I can't face leaving DH to it on his own, as he is lovely and runs around after me and my DC like a headless chicken. And I know as hard as it is for me that his DC have turned into fairly unpleasant, it's even more horrid for him that his EXW is having such an impact on them and there's nothing he can do about it really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now