Talk

Advanced search

I am a step child.

(8 Posts)
emilyeggs Mon 29-Jul-13 14:11:40

What a lovely thread, grin

brdgrl Mon 29-Jul-13 08:53:19

Alisvolatpropiis, needsomesun, needaholiday, noisytoys - thank you for posting. It is really nice to hear from some adult stepchildren, and doubly nice to hear positive acknowledgements of the role of stepparents in parenting children. x

deepfriedsage Sun 28-Jul-13 14:25:22

My stepdad is lovely. Knew his place, was more a friend than Dad character. Gets on with my Dad. Never caused trouble.

noisytoys Sun 28-Jul-13 14:19:06

My mum and dad split when I was 2, and my mum left, I lived with my dad.

Growing up I was nothing more to my birth mum than a child support bill she resented paying (she asked me to pay her back when I got my first job)

My dad married the most wonderful lady when I was 4 and she is my mum now and the best mum I could ever hope for smile

needaholidaynow Sun 28-Jul-13 13:58:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeesGoBuzzzzzz Sun 28-Jul-13 11:12:22

These posts were nice to read flowers!

NeedSomeSun142 Sun 28-Jul-13 01:48:31

I agree I was 13 when my dad introduced me to my step mum. and for about 5 years I honestly must of made her life a misery. now years later we get on fine and looking back I think bloody hell I was a cow!!

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 28-Jul-13 00:25:22

I was 9 when my step dad became a part of my life. Nearly 10.

Initially I accepted it and was fine. Then my dad started making subtle comments that made me feel I couldn't like my mums new boyfriend and not be disloyal. I start acting out. My Mum and Step Dad persevered through this and got married when I was 12.

To my mind we became a proper family when I was 14.

Today at 24 I refer to my "three parents" and "all my parents". I would not be who I am today without my step dad. I love him dearly.

Step parenting is hard, I've been the difficult step child, I know.

The children of your partner will come around. I never though I would and yet here I am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now