Advanced search

CSA - pay until they are 20 - official

(35 Posts)
WkdSM Tue 11-Dec-12 12:28:18

As of the 10th December if you pay CSA you are now liable until the 'child' reaches their 20th birthday rather than their 19th birthday, dependent on their being in full time education etc.
So they can join the army, get married, be tried as an adult in court, be declared bankrupt - but still considered a child and not responsible for themselves by the CSA.

theredhen Thu 20-Dec-12 14:58:03

As someone pointed out to me on another thread, technically the government isn't increasing the school leaving age, just expecting kids to be in some sort of training even if they're working or doing voluntary work, hence there will be no free school transport.

So what will be classes as "education" I'm not sure, for child benefit/maintenance purposes.

NotaDisneyMum Thu 20-Dec-12 10:23:54

I don't think there's any proposal to extend it to university/higher education - there's no obligation for parents to support their DCs at the moment, and it would create a very decisive system if a parent is legally required to support a DC through higher education ONLY if they are separated from the DCs other parent!

This is the first step to align CM with the increase in 'school leaving' age. This year, 16 year olds who leave school have to, for the first time, continue in some form of education for at least 12 months. Eventually, all 16 year olds will be required to stay in education (of some form) for another 2 years.

ChocHobNob Thu 20-Dec-12 09:46:36

I do not agree with it being extended to university. Not every parent can afford to support their children through university. I had to work while at uni and fund myself with that and loans as my parents couldn't afford to help me out financially. (They did in other ways)

Making CSA payable through university could mean that some children are funded through university by a non resident parent because they are forced to ... but the Resident Parent may not give them any money themselves if they cannot afford it.

It also means in some families, non resident children are funded through university but children who resided with the non resident parent are not because the parent cannot afford it.

Not all parents can fund university.

purpleroses Thu 20-Dec-12 09:34:20

I think you're right redhen - it's only those who remain in further education between their 19th and 20th birthdays who'll be affected by the change.

Once they're 18 and have got a job, gone to university or are claiming benefits they are treated as an independent adult, and any support from the parents is voluntary and can be paid direct to the child.

allnewtaketwo Thu 20-Dec-12 09:33:19

If they're at school or 6th form college and leave at 18, then CSA stops on the first Monday of the following sept (assuming they are then working, at uni). So if they turn 18 in Feb, leave school in June, then CSA stops at the beginning of sept.

It only continues at that pint if they don't do either of those things but do 'further education'

NotaDisneyMum Thu 20-Dec-12 08:42:45

The way I read it is that it stops ON their 19th birthday - perhaps call the CSA and ask?

theredhen Thu 20-Dec-12 08:07:27

But if they've finished further education before they're 19, am I right in thinking it stops at the end of the term in which they finish?

NotaDisneyMum Thu 20-Dec-12 07:25:20

At the moment, the CSA payments stop on the DCs 19th birthday even if they are still in further education for 12hours or more a week.

theredhen Thu 20-Dec-12 07:10:59

An I right in thinking that currently if a child continues in further education after their 18th birthday (which a lot will do as a levels finish in June time and the student may have turned 18 in the Sept before) that maintenance and child benefit continue to the end of August and then it stops assuming they then leave further education and get a job, travel or take a gap year.

MarshmallowCupcake Sat 15-Dec-12 19:17:19

Can this money paid direct to the 'child' and from what age? Feels like hubby's money pays for his exes stuff rather than kids!

addictedtolatte Thu 13-Dec-12 21:35:21

I don't get a penny now so I won't be worried. My ex works owns 2 houses pays nothing and gets away with it envy

thebluenailbrush Thu 13-Dec-12 21:22:37

this just brings it in line with benefits. You get child tax credits until the child turns 20 as long as they are in full time education- not higher ed- FE only. My daughter was september born then did a foundation year so she went to uni when she turned 20. She didn't mess up in any way- to do her art course she had to do a foundation year.
Also where i work- library- we consider young people as children until they turn 20 as long as they are in full time eduction (again not higher ed), they are exempt from fines on late books and don't pay reservation charges etc.

purpleroses Tue 11-Dec-12 17:16:26

I would guess it can be reinstated so long as they're still under 20 and living at home supported by their parents (and the parent reclaims it of course)

NotaDisneyMum Tue 11-Dec-12 17:09:20

Does anyone know what happens if a 17 year old leaves school into employment (so CM stops) but then goes back to FE after a gap year?
Does CM start again?

allnewtaketwo Tue 11-Dec-12 16:35:25

That's awful NADM. I'd bet you're right

NotaDisneyMum Tue 11-Dec-12 16:32:22

I should have guessed!

This explains why DSD's mum is blocking her going to FE college next year and instead wants her to do 6th form for a year and then transfer to the two year FE course she wants to do!

I should have known that money was the motivating factor!

Lookingatclaus Tue 11-Dec-12 14:54:59

It makes sense for it to be paid directly to the child, but I'd rather it came to me purely because I could then shield the girls from how their father feels about supporting them financially, the fact that he won't pay or, when he's forced to, tries to wriggle out of it. And I wouldn't want them to have the stress of having to deal with the CSA!

purpleroses Tue 11-Dec-12 14:34:29

If you resit GCSEs then go on to do Alevels, and have a birthday in September, you'd turn 19 almost a year before you do your A-levels, so I guess it's to cover that kind of situation.

purpleroses Tue 11-Dec-12 14:32:51

You will not have to pay for DCs who are:
- married
- in the army
- at university
- left home

Because they will not be in full time further education if they're doing any of these things. Only for DCs who for some reason take a bit longer than usual to get as far as A-levels (maybe resits, or a year out before sixth form). As there's no other support for them at this age, seems fair enough to me.

OwlLady Tue 11-Dec-12 14:20:01

I actually think there are more pressing issues with maintenance tbh that concern those who will have to care for their children until their death. Atm there is no financial support for these mainly women who are left when their husband leaves because the child is severely disabled (and believe me it's a very high % whose husbands/partners walk out without a backward glance)

Of course the NRP has a duty to support the child financially, that isn't under dispute is it, but I don't think the changing of the goal[posts is helpful. Have those who have finished paying last year now got to pay again? confused or is it for children born after 1996

Xalla Tue 11-Dec-12 14:19:41

Hang on, it's payable to the RP?? Even after the 'child' turns 18?? Surely it should be paid to the kid! Student grants / loans get paid to the kid...

theredhen Tue 11-Dec-12 14:14:41

So I can see that in our case dsc will be at Uni, maintenance will be paid to dp ex, she won't pay a penny to the kids at Uni and kids and her will fully expect dp to pay for them to get through Uni too.

allnewtaketwo Tue 11-Dec-12 13:56:48

"I agree with it tbh - PWC are expected to support their adult children through university"

Yet they are not legally required to

"I'd like to see it extended to higher education although perhaps with the adult child being able to apply and receive it in their own name"

Then they should be able to apply to receive it from both parents, not just one of them

OptimisticPessimist Tue 11-Dec-12 13:53:13

I agree with it tbh - PWC are expected to support their adult children through university (the student's application for financial support is based on the income of their resident parent/s including resident step parents) so I don't see why NRPs shouldn't be. This only includes further education as I understand, I'd like to see it extended to higher education although perhaps with the adult child being able to apply and receive it in their own name.

OwlLady Tue 11-Dec-12 13:49:14

we had to pay my stepdaughters boyfriends mother at one point, it's paid to whoever the child resides with if they register with the csa/child benefit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now