Advanced search

CSA - pay until they are 20 - official

(35 Posts)
WkdSM Tue 11-Dec-12 12:28:18

As of the 10th December if you pay CSA you are now liable until the 'child' reaches their 20th birthday rather than their 19th birthday, dependent on their being in full time education etc.
So they can join the army, get married, be tried as an adult in court, be declared bankrupt - but still considered a child and not responsible for themselves by the CSA.

Lookingatclaus Tue 11-Dec-12 12:59:03

But only if they are in full time education? While at University or college they still need some support from the parents, so that makes sense to me. I don't expect to be supporting dsd or dd once they are working (or in a position to work), but I will while they study and I see it as the responsibility of both parents, so I'd consider it appropriate for their father to be contributing.

Lasvegas Tue 11-Dec-12 13:04:46

just plain wrong.

apachepony Tue 11-Dec-12 13:10:52

In Ireland you pay maintenance until they're 23

MagicLlama Tue 11-Dec-12 13:29:22

I have to say that i they are in full time education i dont actually agree with that assuming they still live at home.

theredhen Tue 11-Dec-12 13:32:47

Oh good, dp and I will be able to buy ds and dsd a new t shirt each with the extra maintenance we will receive from our respective ex's.

Dp ex will find several nice holidays and run her car on the extra we will be paying her.


NatashaBee Tue 11-Dec-12 13:34:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

allnewtaketwo Tue 11-Dec-12 13:37:33

It's only further eduction which excludes university

OwlLady Tue 11-Dec-12 13:40:40

this is madness, I was married at 19 confused

MagicLlama Tue 11-Dec-12 13:43:39

do you know ive just read my post back and it makes no sense grin

I mean that I dont think its that terrible assuming they are living at home!

OwlLady Tue 11-Dec-12 13:49:14

we had to pay my stepdaughters boyfriends mother at one point, it's paid to whoever the child resides with if they register with the csa/child benefit

OptimisticPessimist Tue 11-Dec-12 13:53:13

I agree with it tbh - PWC are expected to support their adult children through university (the student's application for financial support is based on the income of their resident parent/s including resident step parents) so I don't see why NRPs shouldn't be. This only includes further education as I understand, I'd like to see it extended to higher education although perhaps with the adult child being able to apply and receive it in their own name.

allnewtaketwo Tue 11-Dec-12 13:56:48

"I agree with it tbh - PWC are expected to support their adult children through university"

Yet they are not legally required to

"I'd like to see it extended to higher education although perhaps with the adult child being able to apply and receive it in their own name"

Then they should be able to apply to receive it from both parents, not just one of them

theredhen Tue 11-Dec-12 14:14:41

So I can see that in our case dsc will be at Uni, maintenance will be paid to dp ex, she won't pay a penny to the kids at Uni and kids and her will fully expect dp to pay for them to get through Uni too.

Xalla Tue 11-Dec-12 14:19:41

Hang on, it's payable to the RP?? Even after the 'child' turns 18?? Surely it should be paid to the kid! Student grants / loans get paid to the kid...

OwlLady Tue 11-Dec-12 14:20:01

I actually think there are more pressing issues with maintenance tbh that concern those who will have to care for their children until their death. Atm there is no financial support for these mainly women who are left when their husband leaves because the child is severely disabled (and believe me it's a very high % whose husbands/partners walk out without a backward glance)

Of course the NRP has a duty to support the child financially, that isn't under dispute is it, but I don't think the changing of the goal[posts is helpful. Have those who have finished paying last year now got to pay again? confused or is it for children born after 1996

purpleroses Tue 11-Dec-12 14:32:51

You will not have to pay for DCs who are:
- married
- in the army
- at university
- left home

Because they will not be in full time further education if they're doing any of these things. Only for DCs who for some reason take a bit longer than usual to get as far as A-levels (maybe resits, or a year out before sixth form). As there's no other support for them at this age, seems fair enough to me.

purpleroses Tue 11-Dec-12 14:34:29

If you resit GCSEs then go on to do Alevels, and have a birthday in September, you'd turn 19 almost a year before you do your A-levels, so I guess it's to cover that kind of situation.

Lookingatclaus Tue 11-Dec-12 14:54:59

It makes sense for it to be paid directly to the child, but I'd rather it came to me purely because I could then shield the girls from how their father feels about supporting them financially, the fact that he won't pay or, when he's forced to, tries to wriggle out of it. And I wouldn't want them to have the stress of having to deal with the CSA!

NotaDisneyMum Tue 11-Dec-12 16:32:22

I should have guessed!

This explains why DSD's mum is blocking her going to FE college next year and instead wants her to do 6th form for a year and then transfer to the two year FE course she wants to do!

I should have known that money was the motivating factor!

allnewtaketwo Tue 11-Dec-12 16:35:25

That's awful NADM. I'd bet you're right

NotaDisneyMum Tue 11-Dec-12 17:09:20

Does anyone know what happens if a 17 year old leaves school into employment (so CM stops) but then goes back to FE after a gap year?
Does CM start again?

purpleroses Tue 11-Dec-12 17:16:26

I would guess it can be reinstated so long as they're still under 20 and living at home supported by their parents (and the parent reclaims it of course)

thebluenailbrush Thu 13-Dec-12 21:22:37

this just brings it in line with benefits. You get child tax credits until the child turns 20 as long as they are in full time education- not higher ed- FE only. My daughter was september born then did a foundation year so she went to uni when she turned 20. She didn't mess up in any way- to do her art course she had to do a foundation year.
Also where i work- library- we consider young people as children until they turn 20 as long as they are in full time eduction (again not higher ed), they are exempt from fines on late books and don't pay reservation charges etc.

addictedtolatte Thu 13-Dec-12 21:35:21

I don't get a penny now so I won't be worried. My ex works owns 2 houses pays nothing and gets away with it envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now