Advanced search

Further Education

(6 Posts)
littlejosh Tue 18-Sep-12 14:11:44

Am hoping someone can help...

When a child goes onto Further Education, how can the NRP find out how they’re getting on etc (if RP doesn’t tell you anything or is very vague)?

NotaDisneyMum Tue 18-Sep-12 14:34:48

I assume that the NRP is estranged from the DC?

In principle, Parental Responsibility only ends when the DC is 18 (or marries), so the educational establishment is under legal obligation to maintain communication with both parents. In reality - if a 16/17 yr old DC has told the college that they don't want their parent to know, then the chances are, they will respect the wishes of the DC, especially if there is one involved parent.

littlejosh Tue 18-Sep-12 14:59:28

Thank you for the advice.

There not estranged, but we've never been told anything about DC's education. Whilst they were at school hus would get school reports etc but I did wonder if it changes when they attend college.

I did wonder if we wrote to the college would they keep us informed?

Once again thank you...

NotaDisneyMum Tue 18-Sep-12 15:18:30

In my experience, the school take the lead from the NRP - so if he/she shows no interest, they assume that they do not need to keep in touch.

Did your DP ever request meetings at the school, attend events, ensure that he was on the distribution list for newsletters, emails etc? Was he a member of the parents group, did he volunteer in the school or stand as a Governor?

He can do all these things for College/sixth form, but he has to take the lead and initiate the contact - a good start would be to arrange a meeting with the DC's form tutor or subject head, perhaps?

WkdSM Wed 19-Sep-12 12:51:17

In my own experience, the college will be quite OK with updating you if you ask - ie they will not be proactive but if you email them and ask for an update at the end of term or when exam results are due they will send you one - but only until child is 18.
Once SKs are 18 the college need their permission to give you info.

Busybusybust Fri 21-Sep-12 20:10:09

I work in FE. If the child is under 18,ad then parents are invited to parents' evening, obviously, the college need to know if there at two addresses to send invites to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: