Advanced search

Step mum here. Can I ask a question about Child Benefit....?

(37 Posts)
SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 19-Mar-12 14:04:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

theredhen Mon 19-Mar-12 14:09:53

No, it should go to the full time carer and it is the "passport" benefit which means once you are in receipt, you could also be entitled to other benefits such as tax credits etc.

I don't really know about the legalities and how you get it changed into your husbands name but someone else on here will know and have had experience.

TimrousBeastie Mon 19-Mar-12 14:10:02

according to the hmrc website child benefit goes to the person the child is living with, there are some circumstances in which it doesn't but going by what you have said you should be getting it. Lots of information here

TimrousBeastie Mon 19-Mar-12 14:10:46

that should work now

EverybodyKnows Mon 19-Mar-12 14:36:03

Hi- one of my DSD lives with us FT and DH gets her child benefit, it's only fair that it goes to the house where the child lives.

NotaDisneyMum Mon 19-Mar-12 16:43:09

Benefits generally go to the childs resident household - they can he split in cases of true 50:50 care - my ex and I did this for a bit.

I would be wary of 'rocking the boat' though - 10 is very young for a childs specific wishes to dictate a contact schedule, and if mum loses CB, she may decide to apply for a residence/contact order, which may not give your DSS the choice. I'm assuming there is back-story which has led you to concede to your DSS wishes and that his mum is less than a co-operative co-parent?

SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 19-Mar-12 17:37:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lagoonhaze Mon 19-Mar-12 17:40:38

Make a claim. You probably won't get it for 8wks as it's a rival claim.

You will also then be able to claim tax credits for child.

SparkyMcSparrow Mon 19-Mar-12 17:41:26

CB goes to the childs main carer.

For instance, my dh (works full time) cannot get cb into his account because I am the main carer on paper (sahm)

NotaDisneyMum Mon 19-Mar-12 19:21:08

sparky - do you mean you receive your DSC CB rather than their Dad? I've not heard of that before!

SparkyMcSparrow Mon 19-Mar-12 19:25:26

No hes my ds too. But when you apply for cb they ask who is the 'main carer' the money will go to them. Presumably to make sure the child gets the benefit of the money.

If the child lives with you, you should be getting both child tax credit and benefit.

NotaDisneyMum Mon 19-Mar-12 21:31:41

sparky the rules can be different when a child has two homes - CB and tax credits can be split smile
It doesn't seem relevant in the OPs case, though sad

MsIngaFewmarbles Mon 19-Mar-12 21:34:27

notadisneeymum, how does that happen? We have 50/50 care and DSDs Mum gets all of it?

Beamur Mon 19-Mar-12 21:35:00

To agree with the above, our stepkids Mum gets the CB and when they were younger, DP claimed tax credits (he was a lower earner than ex wife)

SparkyMcSparrow Mon 19-Mar-12 21:36:53

Its all so complicated confused grin

I think in the OP's case, any benefits and tax credits for that child should go to them as he is living with them full time.

Surely if she is still claiming cb without actually having a child living with her then that is benefit fraud of some sort?

TheFeministsWife Mon 19-Mar-12 21:42:12

I got the CB for my DSD when she moved in with us. I claimed because I was at home at the time and DH worked full time. There were no queries at all was just accepted, before that her nan had been getting it, also the child tax credits were in my name too, (didn't have kids of my own then).

NotaDisneyMum Mon 19-Mar-12 21:48:04

marbles - it's fairly easy to do; but, both parents have to agree, otherwise the one who currently gets CB holds all the cards unless you can prove that the DCs residence has changed wink

In the case of 50:50, if the parent who is not receiving CB applies for tax credits, the Other receives a letter asking if they object. If they don't - tax credit eligibility is transferred. Similarly, CB can be transferred or even split if both parents agree smile

Beamur Mon 19-Mar-12 21:51:25

Yes, the split with ours was agreed between DP and his ex. Might be less straightforward if there is not co-operation.

MsIngaFewmarbles Mon 19-Mar-12 21:58:36

cooperation is never an option with DSDs Mum sad

NotaDisneyMum Mon 19-Mar-12 22:10:43

It can't be done without co-operation unless there is evidence that the DC resides elsewhere - I'm afraid that when 'friendly relations' broke down between exH and myself I was able to extract myself from the arrangement because I was getting the CB; I now get tax credits and child maintenance (via the CSA) even though DD spends 50% of her time living with her Dad. I am (for legal purposes) considered to be her primary/main carer.

The system is very one sided, I'm afraid sad

ladydeedy Tue 20-Mar-12 12:27:24

your DH should be claiming for it. It shouldnt be contentious. We did this when DSS came to live with us. Simply apply and then they will review the situation and contact the mother. She would have to lie and say he is still living with her for them not to give it to your DH.

DharmaBumpkin Tue 20-Mar-12 12:51:00

We claimed when DSD came to live with us. Her Mum didn't co-operate, but we were able to show through school changes etc that a change of residence had occurred. It took about two months.

SinisterBuggyMonth Tue 20-Mar-12 13:57:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

robbie1980 Fri 29-Jan-16 07:41:24

@ NotaDisneyMum

sparky the rules can be different when a child has two homes - CB and tax credits can be split
It doesn't seem relevant in the OPs case, though

My ex-partner and I have a court order regarding care of our daughter. It states she lives with both parents. She stay 3 nights every week with me and 4 with her mum. I've never thought about child benefit, but it makes sense to my daughter should be entitled to have 3/7 of the CB spent on her when with me. Is this something I should pursue? I rang HMRC last night and the lady I spoke to suggested I made a rival claim. I don't know how much of an expert she was though.

Does having the 'lives with both parents' in a court order make a difference?


BombadierFritz Fri 29-Jan-16 07:53:46

Can you just speak to your ex? Stopping her claim isnt going to make you very popular. I didnt think you could split cb officially? One claim per child. you have less days, you are arguing over less than three quid a day. Is it worth it?? Maybe you could arrange an informal handover of the 3/7 split of twenty quid with your partner?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: