Advanced search

Applying for Parental Responsibilty for SC

(5 Posts)
DizzyCow63 Mon 05-Sep-11 15:16:58

We have a full residence order in respect of my DSD (13). She has no contact with her biological mother, hasn't seen or spoken to her since March. My DP has a few health problems, which whilst not overly serious at the moment, could become serious. DSD has made it very clear that, should anything happen to my DP, she wants to stay her with me and DS ( 20 weeks).

DP and I are planning on getting married in the next few months, but I am aware this will not automatically give me PR and we will need to make a Court application for this. I love it if anyone could answer the following questions please -

- does her mother have to consent?
- if PR was granted, would we still be entitled to maintenance from her mother?
- can we make a personal application or would we require a solicitor?
- anything else we should be aware of?

We are in Northern Ireland if that makes a difference.

DizzyCow63 Mon 05-Sep-11 15:24:26

I probably should add that DSD and I are very close and I am more than happy to take responsibility for her, plus it would make things easier on a practical level fir dealing with school etc.

ladydeedy Mon 05-Sep-11 16:15:38

hi there and congratulations on all you are doing for your SD. I have a limited experience of this (when applying for parental responsibilty for my DSS which we didnt proceed with in the end). but my understanding is:

- it is easier if the mother consents but I dont think it is always necessary as the court can judge in your favour based on the facts you present. (In our case she didnt which meant too much hassle given our situation so we chose not to continue - in your case that may be different).

- PR will not affect maintenance - you will be able to continue to recieve maintenance as now.

- you do not need a solicitor and can prepare and send in the forms yourself and then you attend the court when specified. There is a fee - I think around £200, I cant recall now but you will be able to find it all online.

- if the mother doesnt agree it can be messy but given that you have full residency that should help.
good luck!

Atwaroverscrabble Mon 05-Sep-11 17:15:15

I think the only thing that could affect maintenace is if you formally adopt her, then the mother gives up all rights and responsibilities....

DizzyCow63 Tue 06-Sep-11 10:42:06

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. I'm going to contact the Court today and try to get the ball rolling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now