Talk

Advanced search

Summer holiday grief...

(3 Posts)
chelen Sat 30-Jul-11 18:46:30

Hello all, only the end of week one and already we've run into tantrums and tiaras over holiday arrangements (from my SS, both the parents are happy enough).

Basically, so many family events this summer the usual 50:50 split is happening in terms of time with each parent but not the usual sane pattern.

So I'm just wondering what do you do - do you stick to the pattern above all and say tough sh*t if the kids miss out on say a wedding or do you chop up the hols as much as necessary to fit in all invites etc?

We'd love to be a bit more flexible on the 50:50 rule but unfortunately that is not possible, OH's ex has far fewer events but it is just a no go area.

Any advice gratefully received...

theredhen Sat 30-Jul-11 22:10:17

We have a general rule that if one side has a family 'do' then they swap or have extra time with kids to enable them to come.

GinAndWater Sun 31-Jul-11 08:21:04

This summer we had this big party during my DBDs 2 weeks at their mum but we've picked them up for the party and they get to stay the night. Same happens when they have an event at their mums during our 2 weeks. It only worked because no one is going away.

We've learned to be flexible to a certain extent but also sometimes we have to accept that we can't do everything. We have (all 4 parents) sometimes have had to just say no because a lot of changes were already made or the request would muddle up one family's plans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now