Talk

Advanced search

Newbie- Parent and Step parent South London

(7 Posts)
Mazkin Tue 30-Nov-10 11:02:46

Hi

I'm a newbie and wanted to say Hello.
I have a 16-month old daughter and a 7-year old step daughter. I live between Brixton and Camberwell and would love to hear from anyone in the same situation who lives locally to me.

Best wishes

x

glassbaublescompletelybroken Tue 30-Nov-10 11:42:43

Hi,

Sorry I'm not in your area but just wanted to say hello. Are you a new step-mum or just a MN newbie?

Mazkin Tue 30-Nov-10 11:54:07

Hiya

I'm new to MN. I have been a SP for 3 1/2 years. I had my own daughter 16 months ago. I think the terminology is blended family!!

Are you a step parent?

M

glassbaublescompletelybroken Tue 30-Nov-10 12:16:56

I think the term blended family is optimistic! Yes - I have 2 DSD's - 10 & 7 - they live with us half the time. I also have 4 grown up DC's from my first marriage.

SparkleSoiree Tue 30-Nov-10 12:59:44

Hi Mazkin - welcome!

I am a mum to three and been a stepmum to two for over 5 years.

Blended, step? We don't give it much thought - they all just feel like our family! grin

Mazkin Tue 30-Nov-10 15:57:25

Great to meet you all.
It all sounds so positive!

My partner co parents as it is a joint custody arrangement, therefore we have my SD every other week for a whole week so I see her as much as she sees her own mother. I came into my relationship under 4 years ago and moved in within 6 months after- all very quickly. Although I love her- I don’t seem to have the same feelings for my SD as I do my own daughter- which I find hard to accept at times, feelings of guilt and resentment and sometimes anger, even anxiety and low mood plague me at times. I do try and focus on the positives and the relationship between my daughter and my SD which is really positive as they have a great bond!

I sometimes find the whole nature of being a step mother very isolating, mainly as I don’t know any other mothers with children the same age, none of my friends have children the same age only toddlers- we all started parenting late! The school is not great socially and we don’t have alot to do with kids from school so my SD doesn’t have many friends she can play with- this puts added pressure on us. Our families live 50 miles out of London too.

Anyway have any of you experienced anything similar or have any tips?

Best wishes
xx

tattersall Mon 27-Dec-10 17:10:54

Hello, just saw this and thought I'd reply as sounds like you live so near - I'm by Loughborough Junction.

I'm a newbie (to mumsnet) and am not yet a step-parent. Have been with dp for about 19months and he has 2 DCs but I've not met them yet.

Am an avid reader of this forum though - look for insights to both inform / alleviate my general terror at the prospect of stepn parenting (don't have children of my own and am also quite young to be in a relationship with someone with 2 kids in my view)

Anyway, longwinded way of saying 'Hi, fellow Brixton dweller!'
x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: