Talk

Advanced search

How do you roller skate without hitting the floor?

(16 Posts)
EllenRipley Sun 13-Aug-17 16:12:09

Does anyone here roller skate? In a moment of spontaneous idiocy whilst getting my son a pair of roller skates, I bought myself a pair. I had a hilarious vision of myself roller skating, athletic and free, taking on pavements and promenades like a pro.
The reality is I can barely stand up in them and feel something approaching terror every time I wobble forth. Have been watching instructional videos on YouTube but all the 'newbies' seem to crack the straightforward instructions first time and casually roll forward. I wobble, quickly assume a crab like position and end up gasping on all fours. Tell me it can be done! I'm (semi) determined to crack it and pretty fit so need some tips on how to gradually get used to it without breaking my face. TIA X

mrssmith79 Sun 13-Aug-17 16:27:06

I am so jealous!
I'm scraping the darkest recesses of my memory here but if they're proper roller boots (Not in-line) make sure you've always got one foot cocked forward on the stopper when you're stationary to anchor you. It'll click with practice.
I looked at trying our local roller disco last year but it was for under 12's sad. Roller derby looks far too vicious so I'm a bit stuck for opportunities.

EllenRipley Sun 13-Aug-17 16:48:58

Thankyou Mrs! Have attached photo of enemy boots. I'm more jealous that you feel capable of a roller disco! That's so age-ist. Slap on some fake freckles and pig tails and go for it. I'm just taking local pavements and flat tarmac-ed surfaces as an opportunity. Least, that was the plan. Be inspired by my current failure! Yes, I think getting the initial not-falling-on-arse stance is best way to go. I'm totally thrown by the height the wheels give you and the instant wobble! Thought I'd have more confidence 😠 I've spent 46 years in stable footwear so I might be expecting too much too soon.

MOIST Sun 13-Aug-17 16:52:16

Practice. And get knee, wrist, elbow pads and a helmet. It takes the fear out of falling over.

And then take up roller derby. grin

EllenRipley Mon 14-Aug-17 00:26:51

I have everything but the helmet! Should probably get one of those... I also wish I could purchase an ass pad. The lady who sold me them does roller derby. One can only dream!

soupforbrains Sun 11-Feb-18 16:09:21

You can actually fret shorts with padding in them if your bum is he bit which takes most beatings. grin

Other tips are to think about trying to keep your knees bent and your weight over the ball of your feet, just behind the front wheel bearings.

Other than that, just practice and practice. It will come.

Fekko Sun 11-Feb-18 16:11:17

You will fall so relax and enjoy yourself! Just get decent pads - elbow, knees and good gloves. You might want to practise really early in the morning before you get an audience!

billybagpuss Sun 11-Feb-18 16:18:53

I did roller skating for years as a kid and have done it as an overweight adult too.

Start by just standing still, then as soup said slightly bent knees and try and find your centre of gravity. Try and stay relaxed. Its much easier indoors as the surface is smooth. I did roller dance so was always taught to start each step with the feet coming back together unless doing cross rolls.

Relax and have fun smile

EllenRipley Mon 12-Feb-18 10:39:55

Thanks everyone! The skated have actually been gathering dust since my initial post, but this is obviously a sign that I need to dust them off... top tip on the padded shorts! X

soupforbrains Mon 12-Feb-18 11:54:36

Sorry Ellen, I hadn't even realised I was commenting on an old post. Hope you get the out soon and get a bit more into it!

EllenRipley Mon 12-Feb-18 15:21:34

Oh don't worry about that @soupforbrains, I once commented on my own post six years after I'd written it. I kid you not 😳

I consider this a timely reminder that I have roller skates and I should use them!

Purple999Red Fri 18-May-18 07:49:32

That is a nice pair of skates.

NotARegularPenguin Fri 18-May-18 08:02:34

Go to the roller disco, it’s easier learning there than on pavements.

Watch the Indy Jamma Jones videos on YouTube. You need your feet out at a slight angle and if you feel wobbly go low/squat down. Better to fall on your bum than forwards but you’re more likely to regain your balance. I used to play derby but haven’t been on skates for 15 years but recently dug my skates out and am planning on heading to the local roller disco for a refresh.

athingthateveryoneneeds Fri 18-May-18 08:08:52

Learning on pavement is kind of dangerous; the slightest pebble.could send you flying. Join the roller derby team and just practice staying upright while they do their thing. smile

I used to push a buggy while skating on the school run, while my older DC rode her bike. Crazy fun.

MissWilmottsGhost Fri 18-May-18 08:26:32

I've gone to the roller disco with DD several times, we went to a birthday party at one when she was at nursery and the parents enjoyed it so much we keep going back. No age limit where we go, I am well over 40.

As PP said, keep knees bent and your weight over the balls of your feet.

If you try to stand up straight with your weight on your heels then your feet will fly out forwards and you will land, very heavily, on your arse, and end up with a massive bruise <voice of experience>

If you keep your weight where you will fall forward it is much less painful. Wear knee pads so you don't bruise your knees until they are black <voice of experience>

I friend of mine does roller derby and keeps encouraging me to try. I have never seen it, what's it like and will a middle aged woman end up with broken bones?

MissWilmottsGhost Fri 18-May-18 08:31:02

Oh this is an old thread, sorry. As a MN veteran I really should notice these things blush

I wonder if OP ever broke anything got the hang of the skates?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: