Talk

Advanced search

I have a yearning to start outdoor swimming ...

(9 Posts)
winewellies Wed 12-Jul-17 10:43:48

Possibly a mid~life crisis but after seeing a gaggle of middle aged women in wetsuits swimming in the river whilst I was walking the dog .. I feel inspired !
But haven't done any proper swimming in the last 15years (apart from splashing about with the kids) so I am going to buy a monthly swim pass at the new local pool and start 'training' ..is there anyone out there in MN land who wild/outdoor swims who can give me some training tips or help me work out a realistic schedule ? (have read up about best strokes etc but haven't found much else )

Trulymadlymotherly Wed 12-Jul-17 10:54:44

Ooh I have no advice but watching with interest. I've wanted to do this for a couple of years now but pregnancies and job upheavals mean it just hasn't happened.

Chipsandonionrings Wed 12-Jul-17 11:07:22

watching with interest. try the outdoor swimming society. we regularly paddle in the sea and local rivers and I would love to start a bit more seriously but I am unfit and afraid of deep water!

nothing beats swimming outdoors however.

quartofquakingquills Wed 12-Jul-17 11:07:44

As long as you have a tip-top immune system why not?

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 12-Jul-17 11:10:23

Come over to the swimming for fitness thread. Quite a few wild/open water swimmers there.

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 12-Jul-17 11:10:53

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/exercise/2878311-Swimming-for-fitness-part-2-Jump-in

PippaFawcett Wed 12-Jul-17 11:11:19

Sounds lovely!

heron98 Mon 31-Jul-17 14:11:22

I had this yearning too. Got a second hand wetsuit. Did it four times and realised it's awful. Not for me. Great if you live in Spain, not so much in a tarn in Yorkshire.

Rahul88 Sun 04-Mar-18 16:12:58

I did some swimming in a lake last year (as well as regular pool swimming). It made me feel dizzy (i struggle with dizziness, but not when pool swimming) so struggled with it, I believe it’s to do with the cold water shocking the inner ear

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: