Talk

Advanced search

honest running advice for a newbie

(2 Posts)
runningbug123 Tue 08-Mar-16 19:29:32

I've just started running, well I have been trying for a while and I kept giving up far too easily.

I have no excuse my H bought us a treadmill and I am booked in for a 5k next month.

I have started from scratch and last Sunday struggled to do a minute. I downloaded the couch to 5k app and pushed myself today and did the podcast 25mins and ran for 16minuted of that and 10continous minutes after.

For a absolute beginner who is not fit, I'm carrying a bit of extra weight. I'm 5"3 and weigh in at 11 stone 9.
How long would it take me to get upto a 10k? I am on the treadmill 5 days a week and still feel I'm not pushing myself im not sweating buckets when I finish.

And is there any apps that could help me from a 5k to a 10k??

For someone who hated running / jogging last week I seem to be really enjoying it.

I am forcing myself into this as I am surrounded by runners who go to all the events and get all the medals and I'm younger than them and feel a bit silly to be honest. I really want to do that!

Liberated71 Tue 08-Mar-16 19:35:01

There is a follow on from Couch to 5k - 5 to 10k. Have a look for that. Or better still join a running club if there's one nearby.
On the other hand - it's not compulsory to run longer distances. Be happy with your 5k and keep doing it regularly. Play around with speed and intervals, hills etc... I find it hard to find time for longer runs. I'm never going to be a marathon runner with my back/knee/asthma issues but I love the running I can do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now