Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know much about X-Country - how fast should my 12 year old Y8 attempt to run...?

(11 Posts)
hmc Sat 17-Jan-15 20:08:55

If she wants to finish in the top 25% of finishers?

Her ambitions are no greater than that (she is more of a sprinter than middle / long distance runner)...

hmc Sat 17-Jan-15 20:12:55

Sorry - distance might have been helpful: 2 miles

lljkk Sat 17-Jan-15 20:15:37

Has she been out training? Yr8 Dd came 4th last week in regional comp this week, she's checking her times for her training on Strava (just a sec)

lljkk Sat 17-Jan-15 20:22:52

5 minutes 24 seconds per km, says DD, in her training runs.

hmc Sat 17-Jan-15 20:51:47

Ah, thank you lljkk - most helpful.

No, she hasn't done any specific training - only got to hear about it Thursday and the event is on Wednesday. She is at least physically fit though with good stamina because of all the other sport she does. Would have done training run today but she was playing a football match. We are going to run tomorrow and Monday....(if Monday isn't too close to Wednesdays event)

lljkk Sun 18-Jan-15 08:38:25

Good luck!
I shouldn't have said 'regional': I meant the local high school cluster. DD tends to come about 22nd in county finals so doesn't go to regional or nationals. We know kids who make it to nationals; having watched them develop over yrs makes me realise how terrific their achievements are.

hmc Sun 18-Jan-15 11:42:13

Thank you - her main goal is to beat her friend!!!!

Your dd's times are impressive - I think the km per hour speed is the equivalent of 6.9 miles per hour which is slightly faster than 9 minute miles? That's good over a hilly x-country course. When I was (road) running more often I certainly couldn't sustain 9 minute miles for long!

lljkk Sun 18-Jan-15 13:03:34

That was DD's time Over fairly flat route. DD's strengths are in long long distance running, her mate is better at hills, will beat her on a very hilly 1.5 mile course, but DD will be beat most on a 3+ mile flat course. She should do triathlons, but I think I'm quite relieved she's not obsessive enough to be very top of any sport.
Sporty girls are fun. DD has healthy rivalries, too.
Update this week how your DD did?

hmc Sun 18-Jan-15 13:48:00

Will do - it won't be earth shattering I can tell you; she is not a natural at X-country and does much better in sprinting ...but personal pride is such that she wants to aim to finish in the top 25% and be the best out of the 4 girls in her year group entered from her school.....She is already ridiculously nervous about it

I agree about sporty girls - like you, am so glad that my dd is up for it and is no couch potato.

oncearedstar Sat 24-Jan-15 14:38:46

How did it go ?

hmc Sun 25-Jan-15 22:51:10

Not bad thanks - 12th (and she beat her friend grin )

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: