Talk

Advanced search

FFS! Why why why can't I speed up? I appear to be making like a snail....

(5 Posts)
IrianofWay Wed 03-Sep-14 14:34:58

Long time runner. Started about 9 years ago and within a year I was running 25 miles or so a week over 3 runs. Was never a fast runner but lots of stamina. After a few years I got lots of injuries and sort of gave up. A year or so later I began again with C25K. I have done the program three times now, and twice before ended up stopping for various reasons and having to start again.

This spring I had to lose some weight. Dieted and began C25k again. Finished the program a few months ago, have done the C25K plus podcasts since then including the Stamina one (5 mins at 158 BPM, 20 mins at 160 BPM and 5 mins at 165BPM). I am running my little heart out, it feels like I am flying but I simply can't seem to cover more than a bare 5k according to my distance measurement on Google maps afterwards).

I am very tall with long legs and I simply can't understand why I am so slow. Does it matter ? No not really I guess as I fit enough to be healthy and have lost 19lbs but getting frustrated.

I have found a local running club and would quite like to join but right now I feel I'd be laughed off the running track sad

soaccidentprone Wed 03-Sep-14 14:44:39

Have you tried interval training?

IrianofWay Wed 03-Sep-14 15:04:28

Yes, one of the podcasts is interval training. I guess I should give that a go more often.

Fridayschild Sun 02-Nov-14 07:53:27

if you can do 5K have you tried park run? I find I speed up if I have someone to chase.

RudyMentary Sun 02-Nov-14 07:56:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now