Talk

Advanced search

i hate doing stretching at the end of gym classes.

(18 Posts)
cod Sat 26-Jul-14 19:11:16

If you go to them often do you really need to do them? I am not convinced.

Charitygirl1 Sat 26-Jul-14 19:17:12

I also would rather not bother and I really can't believe I need to stretch my upper body EXCEPT maybe triceps if I've done a lot of overhead weights. But having said that I do have a bit of hamstring pain today, having half-arsed those stretches yesterday. Sometimes I get away with it but every so often, not doing a proper stretch seems to have minor consequences.

Charitygirl1 Sat 26-Jul-14 19:18:50

Another thought - the difference in muscle looseness is so noticeable between exercise first thing in morning and at end of day. So I don't think it's about exercising often but at what time, maybe.

EauRouge Sat 26-Jul-14 20:48:26

For the love of God, stretch! From someone who's spent the last 2 months on the injury bench.

sebsmummy1 Sat 26-Jul-14 21:00:09

I love the stretching as I know the hard bit is over grin

Frontier Sat 26-Jul-14 21:51:27

Stretching is the best bit - most classes rush through it and don't do it properly imo.

Yes it is important.all the time you manage to carry on injury free you think you can get away with it but it will catch up with you and you'll end up either but of you so stiff you cant do the classes at all.

cod Sun 27-Jul-14 08:34:08

If I don't screech as I have to whizz off at the end I never notice. Only if they change the routine at pump.

Is there any evidence that stretching actually makes a difference?

cod Sun 27-Jul-14 08:34:18

Lol stretch. Not screech

Frontier Sun 27-Jul-14 08:48:52

It's not the immediate effects that matter the most but the long term effects of contracting your muscles trough exercise and never counteracting that by stretching - can lead to injuries over the long term.

If you're lifting heavy enough in pump, stretching properly will make a difference to the delayedonset muscle soreness you feel next day too. If you don't feel it you need to increase!

Frontier Sun 27-Jul-14 08:49:28

Although what they do at the end of pump isn't proper

JohnFarleysRuskin Sun 27-Jul-14 08:50:52

Can't stand stretching at the end of Zumba. Feels like the dullest five minutes ever.

Frontier Sun 27-Jul-14 08:52:30

proper stretching so you may be right that there's no real difference whether you do it or not. If you want to continue working out (or walking!) into your later years it us important to do it properly.

Bunbaker Sun 27-Jul-14 08:52:31

I love the stretching part, and at 55 I know I need to do it.

Cindy34 Sun 27-Jul-14 08:54:18

I love stretch class - a whole hour of stretching. Very relaxing.

Do not like the quick stretch at end of spin/pump, I try to do a bit more, especially legs, when sat in the spa pool afterwards.

cod Sun 27-Jul-14 09:00:02

It is dull isn't it. I just want to say see ya. And hoof out

cod Sun 27-Jul-14 09:01:14

Let's all read this

www.bbc.com/future/story/20120724-you-must-stretch-before-exercise

annabanana19 Fri 01-Aug-14 23:37:03

When I go running I never warm up nor cool down. I hate doing it at bootcamp.

taxi4ballet Thu 01-Jan-15 17:16:03

The advice for dancers is to stretch during class once they are warmed up, and not at the beginning or the end. Don't know if this would apply to gymnastics/other activities as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now