Talk

Advanced search

Footner and breastfeeding

(17 Posts)
Lilymoose Fri 06-Oct-17 16:33:19

Hello! I am dying to get some footner and use it as my feet are horrible, checked the footner website re: breastfeeding just in case and it says "Are footner products suitable for pregnant women, nursing mothers and diabetic patients?"
"No. As the skin of pregnant women and nursing mothers is more sensitive, we do not recommend using Footner products during this period."
I think this is just to cover themselves and especially as it's just to do with the supposed "sensitive skin" - bollocks mine is as hard and grim as anyone else's. Do I just use it? Anyone done so?

Stillonthatbloodycomputer Sat 07-Oct-17 16:44:16

Don't be so dumb, there's a reason it says NO or are you one of those who thinks they knows best then you'll want compensation when it all goes horribly wrong, the doctors surgery is full of them .

TheThickenPlots Sun 08-Oct-17 17:59:48

Quite a lot of things say they're not suitable for breastfeeding when they are fine actually - it's not dumb at all! The companies, understandably, want to cover themselves and you can't test products on pregnant women for obvious reasons. I don't know about footner but check out the breastfeeding network, they have loads of factsheets on the safety of different medicines and you can get help by email.

Stillonthatbloodycomputer Sun 08-Oct-17 18:19:51

And thalidomide was fine for morning sickness !!!!!!!!!! Warnings are there to protect the patient as well as the company

TheThickenPlots Sun 08-Oct-17 19:05:30

Thalidomide is not really relevant as women were told it was safe, say an entirely different situation. I am not saying to ignore the warnings, I am saying it is not dumb to question if they are always accurate. That is why I recommended a source of info to check it out.

PeaceLoveAndDixie Sun 08-Oct-17 19:07:56

These things only say not suitable for pregnant people as it would be unethical to test on them

Strokethefurrywall Sun 08-Oct-17 19:09:18

Ha, over reaction of the day goes straight to stillonthatbloodycomputer - marvelous.
Op, I would probably use it because if the disclaimer refers to only sensitive skin and not something that can be absorbed and affect the your breastmilk, I'd consider that a low risk.
And if your feet are grim, you may need it! smile

RosyPony Sun 08-Oct-17 19:13:14

It's easier to say 'don't use it' than it is to invest hundreds of thousands into medical research for a non-essential product.

Thalidomide was tested on pregnant pigs (I think) with no ill effects which why it was deemed SAFE for use in pregnant women,it was then quite obviously discovered not to be. Things have come on a lot since then and so it's easier to deem something not safe than to risk it.

As an aside I used it when pregnant, it didn't even occur to me to check it, I must have read the label though? I'm now heavily pregnant and I did give my feet a good going over with a callous knife, I'm saving the footner for when I can actually see my feet again!

ItchyFoot Sun 08-Oct-17 19:14:43

Oops really!? I used an off brand footner thing about 4 months ago and I'm breastfeeding.

Gunpowder Sun 08-Oct-17 19:16:35

I think the thing that puts me off is that foot peels often contain salicylic acid (aspirin) which is a no-no to take orally when breastfeeding because of Reyes, not sure what the effect on breastmilk would be when used topically but I am cautious and so have/will avoid foot peels while feeding.

talkshowhost97 Sun 08-Oct-17 19:22:55

I've used it both whilst pregnant and breastfeeding.

IMO, it's your feet, you're not drinking it. And it's AHA's not opiates or similar. How on earth can you compare it to thalidomide?! The manufacturers are simply stating that when you are pregnant or breastfeeding your skin may be more sensitive and you may be more likely to have a reaction which is a fair point. But it's not going to poison your milk. They can't claim it's ok without running trials on breastfeeding mums. Which is never going to happen.

MrsKnightley Sun 08-Oct-17 19:37:41

@PeaceLoveAndDixie "Pregnant people". Do you mean pregnant women? People includes men who cannot get pregnant, even if they change their gender. And those born female, if changing gender to male can possibly get pregnant but remain of the female sex.

Stillonthatbloodycomputer Sun 08-Oct-17 20:15:53

This is where I dip out of this conversation as a professional within health care who is sick of picking up the pieces of others who think they know best

Lilymoose Sun 08-Oct-17 22:09:04

Haha! Stillonthatbloodycomputer. I am actually also a hcp. Which isn't really relevant anyway.

Anyway. It's the way they specifically mention the reason is due to the skin sensitivity. I wouldn't have even checked if it wasn't for being very overcautious with what I put into and on my body.

Wellandtrulyoutnumbered Sun 08-Oct-17 22:49:13

I am less cautious the older baby is too. Mine is nine months and I'd probably use it as long as no salicylic acid (aspirin) as mentioned above.

Wellandtrulyoutnumbered Sun 08-Oct-17 22:50:11

Googled ingredients Aqua, Alcohol Denatured, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Canola Oil, Polydextrose, Cucumis Sativus Extract, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lactate, Lactic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Glycolic Acid, Methylparaben, Collagen, Parfum.

Lilymoose Mon 09-Oct-17 15:48:50

Thank you! Yes he is nearly 1 but I will still wait I think, my feet will survive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: