Infected toe! Would you mag sulpha it?

(9 Posts)
DearTeddyRobinson Wed 03-Aug-16 16:37:23

So I have been to the bloody chiropodist 5 times about the same ingrowing toenail, last visit was a week ago and it was still red and sore.
Took advice from my dad (the toe expert in the family) and been soaking it in hot salty water. Noticed on Monday evening that it had started to ooze pus. It's way too painful to squeeze and I'm really not keen on going back to the same chiropodist as they are quite clearly incapable of sorting it. Should I mag sulph it to get the pus out??
Photo attached but doesn't really show anything good.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 03-Aug-16 16:40:58

Keep soaking it and whack some Savlon on it over night. Grow your nails longer, that's probably why it's getting infected, they're really short. You might need anti biotics if it doesn't clear up.

DearTeddyRobinson Wed 03-Aug-16 16:43:52

The bloody chiropodist was the one who cut it that short! Looks horrid doesn't it?
Soaking now as I type. Grr.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 03-Aug-16 16:45:25

Blimey, I thought the golden rule was to cut straight across?shock

Mag sulph won't hurt but personally I'd use savlon or TCP first.

greedygorb Wed 03-Aug-16 16:51:05

Be careful of the infection. The only antibiotic my ds has ever had was for the finger nail equivalent of an infected ingrown toe nail. It didn't look too bad but my GP said it could turn nasty very quickly. Soaking it in salty water is probably best.

DearTeddyRobinson Wed 03-Aug-16 16:51:50

Right will keep soaking and if it gets worse head to the GP. Bah.

RoystonVaseySmegHead Thu 04-Aug-16 19:19:32

If try to take nail polish off as well and keep off until it's sorted, I had one and pulled a big clump of bright blue pus out of it with tweezers weeks after it started then cleared up after that, I think a flake of varnish had got stuck inside the ouchy bit, it was gloriously minging

AdmiralData Tue 06-Sep-16 19:51:34

Please see your gp. I had chronic ingrowing toenails all the way through my childhood up until age 19. I walked on the sides of my feet because of the pain. Yours doesn't look horrific (yet) so please go and get it looked at. Your chiropodist is a moron btw.

ivykaty44 Tue 06-Sep-16 19:57:25

Don't put your feet in socks or shoes, as this will increase the risk of infection.

Visit your GP

Find a podiatrist if you can to treat the nail - though not sure what they can do until the infection has cleared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now