Talk

Advanced search

Your questions about the Green Homes Grant have been answered by the experts from the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and Energy Saving Trust

(133 Posts)
LucyBMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 02-Nov-20 12:09:05

With the chilly winter months fast approaching, many people are thinking about how they can make their homes warmer and help reduce their heating bills. Applications are now open for the Green Homes Grant, where homeowners can apply for a voucher towards the cost of installing energy efficient improvements to their home. We’ve partnered with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and Energy Saving Trust (EST) to bring the experts to you, to answer any burning questions you may have about the Green Homes Grant.

Here’s what BEIS has to say: “Homeowners can wrap their homes up this winter and save money on bills with a Green Homes Grant. Vouchers to help cover the cost of energy-saving home improvements are available for householders and landlords under the government's new scheme. Up to £5,000 can be claimed by homeowners and low-income households could receive £10,000.

Ben Golding, Director of Energy Efficiency and Local at BEIS, and Laura McGadie, Group Head of Energy at EST, are the dedicated experts who will be online to answer your questions, whether these are on how to apply for vouchers, or about which improvements come under the scheme."

Want to know more about Ben and Laura? Find some information on the experts below:

Ben Golding - Director of Energy Efficiency and Local at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
“Ben is responsible for leading the government's work on energy efficiency across the residential, business, industry and public sectors in support of the ambition to achieve net zero by 2050, as well as the government's approach to tackling fuel poverty. Ben has over 15 years’ experience in government, the majority of it working on energy and climate policy, as well as having spent time in the energy industry as Director of External Policy for an international renewable electricity developer. Prior to his current role, Ben was previously head of core strategy and carbon budgets at the Department of Energy and Climate Change and has worked across a range of government policies from childcare to family law, before moving to work on energy policy.”

Laura McGadie - Group Head of Energy at Energy Saving Trust
“With more than 25 years' experience as a manager in the domestic energy advice field, Laura leads and develops the energy advice and renewables services across the UK, including the Scottish Government’s Home Energy Scotland advice network and the Welsh Government’s Nest fuel poverty scheme. With a particular focus on high-quality advice delivery, Laura has driven ongoing improvements to achieve customer satisfaction levels of over 97%.”

Perhaps you would like to know more about how to apply and who is eligible to apply for the Green Homes Grant? Or maybe you’d like to know what improvements you can make with the voucher? Whatever your question may be, let BEIS and EST know by posting on this thread. Their expert will be back between the 11th and 13th of November to join the conversation and answer 15 of the questions raised.

All who post a question (regardless of whether it is answered or not) will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

OP’s posts: |
finemang Thu 05-Nov-20 08:29:44

interested in more energy efficient roofing to our conservatory - would that be something a grant could be used for?

picklemewalnuts Thu 05-Nov-20 09:25:40

I would have liked to upgrade my boiler. Will the boiler scheme be restored?
Also, is double glazing worth upgrading to triple glazing?

oldmotherriley Thu 05-Nov-20 10:17:53

alwaysataldi Thu 05-Nov-20 05:49:53
I have a short term tenancy and see myself wanting to buy in around 18 months, If I was to apply and receive this grant for the property (or would my landlord need to apply ?). would I be eligible to apply in a future 'owned' property - are there any checks done that would exclude future grant claims.

To qualify for grants, all work must be completed by March 31, 2021.
The website answers most of the questions on here - there's also a helpline to ring.

FizzyDizzy121 Thu 05-Nov-20 11:24:34

Why is the amount for "secondary measures" dependent on bigger measures?

StickChildNumberTwo Thu 05-Nov-20 12:37:42

What improvements can be funded through this scheme? Would it cover an extension/improvement to an already existing solar panel setup?

RuffleCrow Thu 05-Nov-20 13:01:13

It's weird, isn't it @fizzydizzy121?

If the government really wanted us to make our homes more efficient. Surely they'd just send us all vouchers to spend on these improvements as we see fit?!

welshmardymum Thu 05-Nov-20 14:41:53

Assuming i am eligible is there a time limit for getting the work done, living in rural north wales it could be an issue with limited supplier

Nicola27 Thu 05-Nov-20 15:17:17

We have a bathroom window which needs replacing as it is no longer clearing from the steam created in the bathroom. The window is double glazed, could we replace this with another double glazed or triple glazed window?. We have had loft and cavity wall insulation done already, so I think the window is the only work we need to have done. Thanks

oldmotherriley Thu 05-Nov-20 21:12:25

Look there's a website, and a telephone helpline - to explain the scheme. Wouldn't it be better to use those rather than asking random peeps on here ?

Hopezibah Fri 06-Nov-20 17:12:56

We had some sort of grant similar to this many years ago to put in cavity wall insulation. Would that stop us from applying for any further grants like this?

IWouldBeSuperb Fri 06-Nov-20 19:31:55

Will the timeline for work being completed be extended in light of the pandemic?

SeverinaShadowwalker Sun 08-Nov-20 10:12:52

The website says you can claim for
Solid wall insulation (internal or external)
cavity wall insulation
under-floor insulation (solid floor, suspended floor)
loft insulation
flat roof insulation
pitched roof insulation
room in roof insulation
insulating a park home

I have a flat roof over my kitchen - would the grant cover the removal of the old ceiling and making good the new ceiling - or is the grant solely for the insulation.

Muffinbutton Sun 08-Nov-20 11:59:27

I applied on day 1 of the scheme going live and like PP Ihave not yet received my voucher. When will they be issued?

I feel for the suppliers who will have had work lost/postponed from when this scheme was announced until it's actually operational. It must have had a massive impact on them as people are holding off getting work done until they get their vouchers.

It's well into Nov now and vouchers expire in March. With lockdown and the winter season fast approaching it looks like this scheme will not benefit as many people as it could. This scheme does not seem to have been thought through very well.

HobNobAddict Mon 09-Nov-20 09:12:55

Good morning, I have had a look at the website and would be really interested in the radiator thermostats, and ''energy efficient replacement doors (replacing single glazed or solid doors installed before 2002)''

I have an old wooden door, draughty, swells in the winter - But I feel safe from break ins - it's a strong door - as we have had a number of break in's where a blowtorch has been used on the UPVC doors near me - so my question would be, can I select an energy saving door which has enhanced security features and evidence to back this up - with inpartial reviews.

thank you.

jacqui5366 Tue 10-Nov-20 10:19:46

I am a tenant and the checklist say's I'm not eligible - I am not sure if my L/L would be eligible as he has numerous properties - can a landlord claim for more than one property, and is there any measures in place that if a landlord gets the £10,000 for a rented property - then sells it as the property is now worth a lot more.

SuzCG Tue 10-Nov-20 17:02:23

What sort of properties are eligible? The old part of ours dates back to 1850, extension much more recently - I wonder how you would assess this??

oldmotherriley Tue 10-Nov-20 22:47:25

Er....why not ring up the HELP LINE (the clue is in the name) and ask them !!

GreenHomesGrantExperts Wed 11-Nov-20 12:00:02

ErinSophia

How do I find out if I am eligible ?

Hi @ErinSophia. The Green Homes Grant is open to all homeowners - either owner occupiers or landlords - so most households will qualify. You can check your eligibility, and what technologies might be most suitable for your home, by going to greenhomesgrant.campaign.gov.uk

-Ben

GreenHomesGrantExperts Wed 11-Nov-20 12:05:07

EggysMom

Is the previous scheme, that helped towards replacement of a faulty or inefficient boiler, still running? This new scheme seems to offer everything except a boiler...

Hi @EggysMom. Thanks for the question.

You're right that the Green Home Grant doesn't cover boilers, though you can use it to get a new low carbon heating system such as a heat pump. I think the other scheme you're referring to might be the Energy Company Obligation scheme, which is still available alongside the Green Homes Grant to support energy efficiency, including boilers where appropriate, though it's primarily aimed at lower income households. You can find out about it at gov.uk/energy-company-obligation

-Ben

GreenHomesGrantExperts Wed 11-Nov-20 12:07:11

EggysMom

Is the previous scheme, that helped towards replacement of a faulty or inefficient boiler, still running? This new scheme seems to offer everything except a boiler...

Thank you for your question @EggysMom.

As Ben says, funding is still available across Great Britain for boiler replacements in some circumstances through the Energy Company Obligation scheme (ECO). If you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, you may also be able to get support through schemes running in your area. There are a number of schemes in Scotland that you can find out about from Home Energy Scotland, in Wales there is the Welsh Government Warm Homes Nest scheme (NEST) and in Northern Ireland you can find out about schemes from Northern Ireland Energy Advice. For more information about these schemes and how you can find out your eligibility please use the following links:

Scottish schemes - homeenergyscotland.org
NEST - nest.gov.wales/en/
Northern Ireland - nihe.gov.uk/Community/NI-Energy-Advice

-Laura

GreenHomesGrantExperts Wed 11-Nov-20 12:12:11

BarefootbyMoonlight

On the link it says its only applicable to England.

Will it be rolled out to Scotland, NI & Wales?

And will the issues highlighted upthread be addressed beforehand?

Hi @BarefootbyMoonlight. Yes, that's right, the scheme is England only. Energy efficiency policy is devolved, which means that the Governments in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales can choose to operate their own policies. You'll be able to find out what's available in your area by going to the Government website for the part of the UK you are in.

-Ben

GreenHomesGrantExperts Wed 11-Nov-20 12:14:04

BarefootbyMoonlight

On the link it says its only applicable to England.

Will it be rolled out to Scotland, NI & Wales?

And will the issues highlighted upthread be addressed beforehand?

Hi @BarefootbyMoonlight.

As an independent organisation dedicated to promoting energy efficiency and sustainable energy use across throughout the UK, Energy Saving Trust manage, administer or support similar schemes in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. There are a number of schemes in Scotland that you can find out about from Home Energy Scotland, in Wales there is the Welsh Government Warm Homes Nest scheme (NEST) and in Northern Ireland you can find out about schemes from Northern Ireland Energy Advice. For more information about these schemes and how you can find out your eligibility please use the following links:

Scottish schemes - homeenergyscotland.org
NEST - nest.gov.wales/en/
Northern Ireland - nihe.gov.uk/Community/NI-Energy-Advice

-Laura

GreenHomesGrantExperts Wed 11-Nov-20 12:19:13

alwaysataldi

I have a short term tenancy and see myself wanting to buy in around 18 months, If I was to apply and receive this grant for the property (or would my landlord need to apply ?). would I be eligible to apply in a future 'owned' property - are there any checks done that would exclude future grant claims.

Hi @alwaysataldi. The Green Home Grant is open to homeowners, which means it would be your landlord who needs to apply for the grant if you're in a rented property. If you do move, then you'll absolutely be able to apply for a separate grant as the owner of your new property, so long as the scheme is open. There are checks in place to prevent people applying multiple times for the same property, but in the case you're describing, it would be absolutely fine.

-Ben

GreenHomesGrantExperts Wed 11-Nov-20 12:24:17

ailsasheldon

We live in a grade 2 listed property. Can we apply ?

Thanks for the question, @ailsasheldon. Yes, you can apply. You'll want to discuss what's appropriate for your property with your installer when arranging a quote, but there are plenty of options under the Green Homes Grant that can be installed in a listed building. Obviously you'll want to make sure you've got any required planning or other consents for whatever work you choose to do.

-Ben

GreenHomesGrantExperts Wed 11-Nov-20 12:26:16

ailsasheldon

We live in a grade 2 listed property. Can we apply ?

Thanks @ailsasheldon, your question is an interesting one.

Following on from Ben's response, if your property is listed, then there will be restrictions on what changes you are allowed to make. You should contact your local authority to find out what is permitted. If you can get approval to make an improvement, then you could potentially claim the Green Homes Grant provided it meets the scheme criteria.

-Laura

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in