Talk

Advanced search

Ask a Scottish Widows expert your questions on pensions and retirement - 3 x £100 voucher to be won!

(119 Posts)
EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 21-Mar-19 10:21:52

This activity is now closed. You can view the answers here.

We are working with Scottish Widows to help answer any questions you have on pensions and retirement. With minimum workplace pension contributions increasing in April, from 5% to 8%, we’d love to hear your questions or any thoughts you have, either on this or about pensions and retirement in general.

Scottish Widows Retirement Expert Jackie Leiper has volunteered to answer your top questions and is passionate in helping women plan for their financial future.

Jackie said: “We know women face their own unique challenges in saving for the future. With more women working part time and many of us going on maternity leave at various points in our careers it’s often difficult to know if you’re saving enough for your future.

With an increase to workplace pensions in April I want to help explain what the changes could mean for you and how a small increase now could really make a big difference to your future.

I’d love to hear your thoughts and questions on the changes or anything that’s in the back of your mind regarding saving for retirement.

To help get you started and explore the upcoming changes you can watch our Pension Basics film or visit our website to see how it could impact you.”

Whatever questions you have around pensions and retirement, please post them below and we will choose 10 for Jackie to answer. Everyone who posts a question below will be entered into a prize draw to win one of three £100 vouchers of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.

MNHQ

Terms & conditions apply

GreasedPiglet Tue 28-May-19 12:14:13

Thanks!

JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 28-May-19 11:56:34

Hi all - thanks for leaving your questions!

You can find the answers here smile

OnePotMeal Fri 24-May-19 18:23:46

I'm as late to the thread as I am to pension planning! What advice can you give to someone in their fifties with no retirement planning whatsoever?

GreasedPiglet Thu 23-May-19 14:12:12

I wonder if the feedback will be before or after we've all retired 😄.

paddles100 Thu 23-May-19 13:30:47

Are we getting any feedback to these questions please? Thanks

Gatoadigrado Tue 30-Apr-19 06:57:35

How big is the gender gap in pensions? We hear a lot about women being disproportionately affected by having insufficient funds in their pension pot

centralmix Thu 25-Apr-19 14:51:03

Erm ... that should have said PLEASE. blush... does this emoji mean
embarrassed?

CredulousThicko Thu 25-Apr-19 11:23:31

I once had a boyfriend whose parents started a pension for him on his 18th birthday. At the time I laughed, but now I would like to know if this is genuinely the best way to do it? As you can imagine the monthly payments were very low so is it worth doing this for my own dc's?

centralmix Thu 25-Apr-19 07:51:47

MUMSNET - Is there an update to these pension questions?

AlliKaneErikson Sat 13-Apr-19 23:10:53

It is worth me starting a pension at my age (43)? I had a good job with a pension attached but had to finish full time work a few years ago due to injury; I now only work part time in a different job with a much lower wage and no workplace pension.

elizaco Tue 09-Apr-19 14:23:28

I pay into the NHS pension as part of my job. Is it possible to and would you recommend paying into a personal pension too?

bikerclaire Tue 09-Apr-19 11:14:08

I've seen a lot of new apps coming into the market promoting their service which combines old pensions together but I was advised before that overall it's probably better to keep them separate, what is the current advice on this please?

Quietvoiceplease Tue 09-Apr-19 06:54:02

What's the best place to find out independent information about income required in retirement, and the best way of saving for this? I have a work-based pension, but feel very illiterate about the whole arrangements.

StickChildNumberTwo Mon 08-Apr-19 16:13:46

My husband and I have separate work pensions. How will they cover us when one dies (before or after retirement)?

danigrace Mon 08-Apr-19 15:02:42

What's the best way to arrange a pension if you are part time self-employed?

CopperPan Thu 04-Apr-19 21:42:00

How can I track down pensions from jobs that I did over ten years ago? I'm not even sure I paid into a pension, but I worked for the companies for quite a few years so I think I must have?

clopper Thu 04-Apr-19 19:55:09

I have a teachers pension but I’m not sure what age I can start using it. How can I find out

queenoftheschoolrun Thu 04-Apr-19 14:27:04

I have several pension pots from various different employers including my present job. I'd like to start making additional payments myself - how do I decide which one is best to pay into? What should I be looking at?

Halmo Wed 03-Apr-19 23:04:30

What are the different options for taking your pension at retirement and how are they taxed? Also, what happens to workplace pensions if you die - do you lose the money saved or can they be inherited?

maclinks Wed 03-Apr-19 19:38:45

What options are open to me if I want to retire at 55

MrsRobert Wed 03-Apr-19 13:23:46

If I take three months unpaid maternity leave does my employer stop contributing during that time?

StrangeThings Wed 03-Apr-19 10:17:27

I have a disability and was on Employment Support Allowance since about 2011. Now I am on Universal Credit. I moved from America to the UK in 2007. I was married and got a divorce. I do have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

I have never worked since being in the UK. I am 61 years of age and from what I understand, 66 is my "Retirement" age.

Because I have a disability and have not worked, will I still be able to get on a Pension when I reach 66 years of age? Or will I just be left with a disability and no money to live on?

Bluecow15 Tue 02-Apr-19 21:46:19

My work keeps suggesting AVCs. Should I be doing them? Do I save tax?

JudgeRulesNutterButter Tue 02-Apr-19 14:43:00

Are we saving enough? How much should we be saving?

(And if you have any extra time- how long is a piece of string?)

pastaparadise Mon 01-Apr-19 22:07:16

I've been in the NHS pension scheme for 18 years (I'm now 42). Since having dc 5 years ago I only work 1.5 days. Should i be topping up into a private pension and do i need a financial advisor to find a good one, or is this information relatively easy to find? Having always been in the public sector i don't really know where to start. And is it better to put spare cash into a pension or pay down mortgage debt as quickly as possible?

thank you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »